Date: 2nd December 2019 at 7:23pm
Written by:

Rotherham United  will face Hull City at the New York Stadium in the third round of the FA Cup, if, of course they get past Solihull Moors in the second round which takes place this evening.

The last time the Millers were in the third round of the cup was last season, when, as a Championship side, they entered the competition at this stage. Rotherham took on second in the Premier League Manchester City at the City of Manchester Stadium and managed to hold on until the twelfth minute when Raheem Sterling opened the scoring. Towards the end of the first half Phil Foden doubled the score and an unfortunate own goal from Semi Ajayi made it three-nil going into the break. Goals from Gabriel Jesus, Riyad Mahrez, Nicolas Otamendi and Leroy Sane got in on the act giving the hosts a seven-nil win.

In the last few years the Millers have gone out in the third round to Oxford, Leeds United and Bournemouth.

The 2012/13 season was the last time Rotherham got through to the third round by winning the two previous rounds. The first round saw Stevenage at the New York Stadium when Mark Bradley put the hosts in front on the half-hour mark. Two second half goals from Lee Frecklington made it three-nil with Stevenage pulling two back when James Dunne and Filipe Morais made it an interesting final twenty minutes. The Millers entertained Notts County in the second round with the visitors going in front thanks to a Yoann Arquin goal on thirty-two minutes with Ben Pringle sending the tie into a replay three minutes before half-time. Rotherham went two up thanks to goals from Pringle and Bradley with Jordan Stewart seeing red on the half-hour mark for County for elbowing Alex Revell and Daniel Nardiello made it three-nil just before half-time sending the Millers into a third round tie away at Aldershot Town. The game at the EEB Stadium saw Danny Hylton, later to become a Miller, get a hat-trick for Town with Lee Frecklington getting a consolation for the visitors from the penalty spot after Ben Herd had handled in the area. Both sides finished the game with ten men after Kari Arnason got a second yellow for the Millers and Hylton saw red for an elbow on Jason Taylor. The Shots went on to play Middlesbrough in the fourth round losing two-one.

The third round game will take place the weekend of the 4th January 2020.

Click for the forum

Your Comment