Date: 8th August 2017 at 10:57pm
Written by:

Rotherham United are through to the next round of the Carabao Cup thanks to a goal on seventy-eight minutes by substitute Anthony Forde at a rain sodden New York Stadium this evening.

Lincoln City started well and it was the Imps who had a first shot at goal with Harry Anderson having a try from twenty-five yards which went wide. At the other end a Ryan Williams corner looked to be heading for Kieffer Moore but a City defender managed to get the ball away. Former Imp Lee Frecklington and Moore had shots at goal which were blocked before the first yellow of the night was shown to Joe Mattock for a challenge on Matt Green. Just before the half-hour mark Moore received a long ball from goalkeeper Richard O’Donnell but sees his shot go wide before Joe Newell sees a shot go the same way. But on thirty-eight minutes the hosts did go in front after some good work from Mattock found Jamie Proctor whose shot flew past debutant Lincoln ‘keeper Josh Vickers. A minute later O’Donnell had to be alert and brought off a good save from Sean Raggett.

Like the end of the first half Richard O’Donnell stopped Sean Raggett equalising five minutes into the second forty-five by getting down well and pushing the ball away to safety. At the other end Josh Vickers was equal to that save when he pushed a shot from Kieffer Moore onto the crossbar and out for a corner. A poor challenge on Moore saw a yellow card dished out to Raggett with the resulting free-kick swung in by Joe Newell to Michael Ihiekwe but Vickers was there to collect. It was a good spell for the Millers with Vickers having to make saves from Newell and Williams plus tipping a shot over from Ihiekwe. The first sub of the evening saw Ryan Williams replaced by Anthony Forde while Lincoln took off Matt Green for Ollie Palmer. And it was Palmer’s header a few seconds later that saw the Rotherham defence in disarray and Billy Knott slotted the ball past O’Donnell for the equaliser. Lincoln made another change bringing on Nathan Arnold for Jordan Maguire-Drew which was followed a minute later by Palmer seeing yellow for arguing with the linesman. Jamie Proctor and Newell saw shots saved before a Joe Mattock cross on seventy-eight minutes found Forde who got in front of his marker and prodded the ball over the line to make it two-one to the hosts. Matthew Rhead replaced Billy Knott for the visitors just before Harry Anderson saw a shot go inches over the crossbar. First goalscorer of the night Jamie Proctor was replaced by Jonson Clarke-Harris with the forward getting a chance just two minutes after coming on but his effort went wide. Will Vaulks came on for Lee Frecklington who was applauded by all four sides of the ground. A late free-kick from Forde was close, just going past the post to leave the score at two-one to the Millers.

A good display this evening from both teams – and one which I’m sure Paul Warne will be satisfied with from his Millers side.