Date: 25th January 2009 at 11:25am
Written by:

The Millers fell to their second defeat in four days when they lost three-nil at Blundell Park yesterday which also ended the five match unbeaten run in the League.

It was the visitors who had the first opening when a Jamie Green cross found the head of Danny Harrison but the returning midfielder could only head onto the roof of the net. At the other end, Adam Proudlock had a shot from twenty yards out that just skimmed the post before a free kick found Nathan Jarman whose thumping shot was tipped round the post by a diving Andy Warrington in the Millers goal. From the resulting corner, Warrington pushed the ball out and it was kicked to safety by a Millers defender. At the other end, Jason Taylor found himself in space from a corner but his shot went well wide. Ten minutes before half-time, the travelling Millers fans shouted for a penalty when ex-Millers, loanee, Joe Widdowson, appeared to push Ryan Taylor in the box, but referee, Mr Hill, gave a goal-kick to Town. A few minutes later, Mark Hudson had an effort on goal but his shot was well saved by a Grimsby fan in the Pontoon end of the ground. On the stroke of half-time, Adam Proudlock unleashed a shot from some thirty-yards out that Andy Warrington did well to get down to and push round the post.

The second half started with the Millers on top, and Mark Burchill, on for Andy Nicholas at the start of the half, played the ball out to Harrison whose shot was tipped over the bar by Barnes. A few minutes later Warrington had to save a Proudlock shot with his feet before a Ryan Taylor shot at the other end was similarly saved by Barnes. Warrington then brought off a good save from Akpro before Widdowson’s pace got him in the box and his shot from twenty-yards out flew into the top corner of the net. Four minutes later, the Mariners should have made it two when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box and Sinclair found Bennett but his header went wide of the post. At the other end a shot from Burchill was deflected for a corner and minutes later a long throw from Marc Joseph, on for the injured Jamie Green, was dropped by Barnes but the Millers couldn’t force the ball in. Then, on seventy-three minutes, the home side were awarded a penalty – which seemed to surprise everyone as there had been no appeal – which was put away by Proudlock. But the Millers were still looking for a goal and Mark Hudson had a shot from some yards out, that honestly looked more like hitting a passing seagull than the back of the net while minutes later a Dale Tonge streamer just went past the post. With ten minutes to go, a scramble in the area, after another Joseph long throw, found Jason Taylor but his shot was well saved by Barnes. On the eighty-fourth minute, Sinclair and Proudlock played a one-two on the edge of the area and Sinclair slotted the ball under Warrington to make it three-nil with no hope of a come back by the Millers.

I’m not sure how many Millers fans were there, but it was great to hear the singing all way through the game – keep it up lads n lasses, because I think we will need all the support we can get at Darlington on Tuesday night.