Date: 3rd January 2009 at 6:11pm
Written by:

Ian Sharps played his captain’s role to the end today and scored a last gasp equaliser against Dagenham and Redbridge at Don Valley this afternoon.

The Millers started the game on the attack when Reuben Reid was played in by Drewe Broughton only to find Mark Arber there to put behind for a corner. A minute later Nick Fenton had to be on his toes to block a shot at the other end from Paul Benson. After that exciting start the game, frankly, became scrappy. Although the Millers had a couple of chances, the first was a Dale Tonge free kick that found Ian Sharps but the captains header not only looped Tony Roberts in the Daggers goal but also looped the crossbar. Reid then got a ball from Micky Cummins but the striker toe poked the ball just past the post. Andy Nicholas sent a high ball to Reid who looked like he was pulled down by Scott Griffiths in the penalty area. But referee, David Foster, waved away any appeals from the Rotherham team. A few minutes later, Mark Hudson dispossessed Arber and only a good save from Roberts stopped the Millers from taking the lead. The Daggers then had another slice of luck from the ref when Magnus Okuonghae clearly handled the ball but only got a yellow card.

It was the visitors who took the bull by the horns in the second half and within two minutes Glen Southam lofted a high ball into the area and it found Matt Richie at the far post and he leapt into the air to head the ball home and give the Daggers the lead. A minute later Richie had another chance when Danny Harrison’s attempt at a backpass to David Stockdale in the Millers goal was woefully short and the Daggers winger got to the ball and rounded the ‘keeper. A bit of luck for the Millers followed when Richie went down under a Stockdale challenge but the ref shook his head and said play on. Stockdale then made a good save from Strevens and at the other end Broughton headed over the bar while substitute, Ryan Taylor brought a good save from Roberts. Stockdale made a good save from Strevens followed by an equally good save from substitute Jon Nurse. Southam should have made it two-nil but his shot was wild when he looked like he would score. The fourth official announced that there would be an extra three minutes play and it was right at the end of these that the Millers won a free kick on the edge of the area. Reid smashed the ball towards goal, it was scrambled away, before it appeared to hit Ian Sharps and bounce in the net!

That’s the attitude I like to see in Millers players – never give up!