Date: 31st October 2015 at 7:50pm
Written by:

Derby County showed why they are where they are in the table as they swept Rotherham United aside as the Millers struggled this afternoon at the iPro Stadium.

To be fair the Millers started well and only a good stop by a Rams defender stopped Harry Toffolo getting into the box in the opening minutes while Scott Carson in the hosts goal was put under pressure when his own player played a poor pass back to him with Jonson Clarke-Harris breathing down his neck but got away with it. At the other end Andreas Weimann cleverly got on the wrong side of Kirk Broadfoot and threw himself to the ground which referee Scoot Duncan ignored waving away the Derby protests. Derby`s first real foray up field on seven minutes ended with a goal when Craig Forsyth was left with much too much room and without a tackle coming in got the ball into the box for Weimann to put into the ball into the roof of the net. The travelling one thousand four hundred thought they`d pulled level minutes later but Clarke-Harris`s strike hit the side netting before Joe Mattock did well to stop Cyrus Christie getting away with the ball. On the quarter of an hour mark Jacob Butterfield let fly with a fantastic shot which brought off an equally fantastic parry from Millers ‘keeper Lee Camp, who was getting jeered by the Derby fans as ex-players do, while a low shot from Clarke-Harris at the other end tested Carson. A lovely move by the hosts ended when Johnny Russell, with the goal at his mercy, sky the ball over before a good run from Weimann went just wide of the upright. A late tackle on Bradley Johnson saw Richie Smallwood get the first yellow of the day and only a good tackle from skipper Danny Collins a few minutes later stops Christie getting a shot away before a header from Johnson goes over the crossbar. Joe Newell went on a good run but was chopped down by George Thorne who got a yellow for his trouble with the resulting free-kick from Clarke-Harris doing well to get through the Derby wall but Carson grabbed at it. Weimann should have done better from a Russell corner but heads wide but the Rams did double their lead in the final minute of the half when Butterfield drilled the ball into the back of the net from just outside the area. And it really should have been three when a good ball back to him found Weimann but he was very wasteful skying it into the home fans behind the net.

At the beginning of the second half Kirk Broadfoot had to have his wits about him to get to a cross from Bradley Johnson away. The Millers had a bit of possession after that and but when Joe Mattock tried to put a cross into the middle it was blocked and the Millers defender was booked a minute later for a supposed mis-timed foul on Johnny Russell. When Andreas Weimann got the better of Broadfoot and seeing Lee Camp off his line lobbed the ball over his head it was only some quick thinking from Danny Collins who hacked the ball away that stopped it being three-nil. As the hour mark approached the Millers had a penalty appeal turned down after Danny Ward appeared to be pulled back by Jason Shackell. Paul Green, on at half-time for Joe Newell, gave away a free-kick which Russell takes but the Millers defence keep out before another free-kick from Chris Martin cannons off the crossbar and after a scramble in the goalmouth, with defenders all over the place, the ball eventually fell to Richard Keogh who rammed home from short range to make it three-nil. In the final ten minutes the hosts rattle the crossbar again after a Russell cross found Shackell on the back post before Shackell is placed well at the other end of the pitch when he cleared a headed effort from Danny Ward.

To be honest I didn`t expect us to win this afternoon but I did expect to see some effort and passion and drive from the team. It just wasn`t good enough.