Date: 7th May 2016 at 6:55pm
Written by:

Rotherham United lost their last game of the season to a rampant Hull City side at the KC Stadium.

It all started well for the Millers with them being the stronger of the sides in the opening minutes. The first shot at goal fell to Grant Ward but he saw it go not only wide but high followed by a similar shot a minute later at the other side from Danny Ward. On ten minutes a super pass from Robert Snodgrass found Jake Livermore but the City midfielder shot just over before Snodgrass himself attempted a shot which was blocked by the Millers defence. On thirteen minutes Abel Hernandez looked certain to score but Frazer Richardson did well to get his body in the way before Hernandez had another shot that was this time saved by Lee Camp in the visitors goal. On the quarter of an hour mark Grant Ward picked up the ball in his own half of the field and found Richie Smallwood then a lovely ball from Smallwood found Lee Frecklington who got hold of the ball and hooked it into the back of the net sending the travelling two and a half thousand fans wild. Within a minute the Tigers could have equalised but for Camp standing tall when Hernandez tried to shoot at goal and minutes later it was striker Danny Ward who had to race all the way back to his own penalty area to prevent a Hull attack getting anywhere. Livermore had a curling shot on twenty-four minutes which was just inches past the post but the Millers didn’t learn and a minute later the hosts were level. A cross from Moses Odubajo was headed down by Hernandez to Snodgrass and the former Leeds winger put the ball into the top corner of the net. Two minutes later City took the lead when Richardson was far too slow and let Odubajo get past him again and when the ball fell to Hernandez his overhead kick flew into the back of the net. On the half-hour mark the Millers had a good chance when Grant Ward won and took a free-kick finding Danny Ward in the area but he put his shot wide. Camp did well minutes later to turn an Hernandez effort wide before Richard Wood was on the line to head away a shot from Tom Huddlestone. At the other end Jonson Clarke-Harris sent the ball across to Smallwood who tried a shot from just outside the box that went wide of the post before a good shot from Frecklington saw Alan McGregor do well and get down to the ball. The Hull fans thought they’d scored again when a shot from Hernandez rippled the side-netting but two minutes later Livermore got the third when he latched onto a ball initially saved by Camp and put it into the net. And number four came two minutes later when the Millers defence was in disarray and Livermore the ball to Mohamed Diame who shot across goal into the net. As the board went up for added minutes Hernandez thought he’d made it five but the offside flag was already up when he scored.

The second half started slowly and the Millers had the first chance on fifty-seven minutes when a Richie Smallwood free-kick found the head of Richard Wood who put the ball across goal but there was no dark shirted player in the area to latch on to it. Two minutes later Hull scored number five after Robert Snodgrass back heeled the ball to Jake Livermore who shot into the far corner giving Lee Camp no chance. Camp did well a few minutes later when he managed to get to a shot from Snodgrass and put it behind for a corner which came to nothing. The first yellow of the game went to the Millers’ Stephen Kelly after a challenge on Mohamed Diame before the Millers first sub saw Jonson Clarke-Harris make way for Leon Best and Harry Maguire coming on for Hull for Diame. Moses Odubajo had a shot at goal which was blocked by Frazer Richardson before Wood had to be on his toes to block from the same player two minutes later. Robert Snodgrass was replaced by Sam Clucas before a curling shot from Livermore went straight into the waiting arms of Camp. Another sub for the hosts saw Hernandez make way for Shaun Maloney and Neil Warnock introduced Darnell Bailey-King for his debut bringing off Danny Ward. In the final minutes of the game Clucas saw a shot whistle past the post before Grant Ward found himself in defence to head a dangerous looking cross behind for a corner. Best had a shot for the Millers but Allan McGregor was equal to it before a run up the other end saw a ball in from Smallwood find the head of Wood but he couldn’t control it and it went behind. As the fourth official put the board up for four extra minutes the Millers final substitution saw Paul Green replace Frecklington. The last shot of the game went to the hosts when a shot from Tom Huddlestone missed the top left-hand corner by inches.

Not the way we wanted to end the season but it was the Millers fans who stayed behind and the Rotherham players and staff who came over to celebrate the end of the season with the players throwing their shirts to the fans and Neil Warnock applauding.

Click for the forum