Date: 9th November 2011 at 9:38am
Written by:

Vital Rotherham on: facebook

Vital Rotherham on: twitter

Rotherham United have a break from the league on Saturday when they travel to Barrow for the first round proper of the FA Cup.

The last few years haven’t boded well for the Millers in this competition and here are a few facts from the last ten years.

Last season the Millers were knocked out at this stage of the competition by non-league York City. The game was a dour nil-nil at Don Valley and the Minstermen won the re-play at Bootham Crescent when they scored three second-half goals.

In November 2009 the Millers went to Grosvenor Vale on a Sunday afternoon to take on Ishmian League side, Wealdstone. Both sides were a bit cautious to start with but goals from Adam Le Fondre and Kevin Ellison gave the Millers a two goal half-time lead. On sixty-three minutes Ryan Ashe halved the deficit but Drewe Broughton got another for the visitors. Ashe was on target in the final minute to make it two-three. The Millers drew Luton Town at Don Valley in the second round and. The Hatters took a twenty-one minute lead from the penalty spot after Andy Nicholas tripped Claude Gnakpa up and Tom Craddock scored from the spot. In time added on in the first half, Adam Le Fondre got an equaliser. Stephen Brogan put the Millers in front just after the hour mark but Mark Nwokeji got Town’s second goal to give them a replay. Luton won the replay three-nil with goals from Adam Newton, Alan White and Gnakpa.

2008/9 saw the Millers travel to the EBB Stadium to take on Aldershot Town where a penalty in time added on from John Grant cancelled out an earlier goal from the Millers’ Micky Cummins. In the replay at Don Valley the Shots bounced back from eight away defeats to beat the Millers three-nil.

A Sunday Armistice Day game at the New Lawn saw the Millers get out of jail against Blue Square Premier side Forest Green. Stuart Fleetwood scored two goals for the home side in the first half with the Millers looking all at sea. But the visitors came out all guns blazing in the second half and when Darren Jones fouled Stephen Brogan in the penalty area, the Millers player picked himself up and scored from the spot. Six minutes from time Chris O’Grady got the equaliser to give the Millers yet another first round replay. Unfortunately for the Millers, Forest Green convincingly won the replay at Millmoor by three goals to nil.

Peterborough were the side who put the Millers out of the first round in November 2006. Goals from Richard Butcher, Aaron McLean and Danny Crow saw the Millers off at London Road that day.

A Bonfire Night game in 2005 at Millmoor was a bit of an explosive affair. Simon Brown put the Stags in front on twenty-eight minutes but Paul McLaren equalised two minutes later. On thirty-seven minutes Giles Coke put the visitors in the lead again but up came McLaren a minute later to equalise again for the home side. Ten minutes into the second half Deon Burton put the Millers into the lead for the first time in the game only for former Miller, Richie Barker, to make it three-all on seventy-five minutes. In the final minute of the game Michael Keane (Millers) and Gus Uhlenbeek (Stags) clashed and, both having been booked before, referee Darren Drysdale sent them both for an early bath. With a replay looking on the cards Richie Barker smashed in Mansfield’s fourth goal of the game to give them the win.

2004/5 season saw the Millers in the Championship, so, probably because they didn’t have to play, they got through to the third round of the Cup. Yeovil came to Millmoor on a cold January afternoon and the second division table toppers romped home to a three-nil win.

January 2004 saw the Millers play their first FA Cup game on the season against Northampton Town at Sixfields. Richie Barker put the Millers in front on fifty-five minutes but Martin Smith got an equaliser for the Cobblers eight minutes later. In the replay at Millmoor Paul Hurst gave the Millers the lead on nineteen minutes. Richard Walker got an equaliser for the visitors seventeen minutes later and Martin Smith got the winner for Northampton ten minutes into the second half.

The season before, MK Dons were the visitors at Millmoor and beat the Millers three-nil with goals from Neil Shipperley, Jobi McAnuff and Lionel Morgan.

In the 2001/2 season, the Millers entertained Southampton at Millmoor in January. Richie Barker put the Millers in front on thirty-nine minutes and John Mullin gave the Millers a two goal lead ten minutes into the second half. Andy Monkhouse pushed Marian Pahars over on seventy minutes in the penalty area and the player felled got up and slotted the ball home but the Millers hang on until the end. Ten days later, the Millers played Crewe at Millmoor in the next round and it looked to be going the home sides way when Mullin got a third minute goal. Geoff Thomas got an equaliser on thirty-two minutes for the Alex only for Paul Warne to get a second for the Millers five minutes later. Dean Ashton got another equaliser for the visitors on the hour mark and then put Crewe into the lead five minutes later with David Vaughan making it sure for Crewe with a goal twelve minutes from time to make it four-two to the visitors which took them to a tie with Everton.

The 2000/1 FA Cup run was one of the best for a Millers side in the last ten years or so. An Alan Lee goal was enough to give the Millers a win at Wrexham in Round One and a Garry Hughes own goal at Millmoor gave the Millers a second round win over Northampton Town which gave the Millers a high-flying tie against Liverpool at Anfield. The Millers managed to hold the Reds off in the first half and went in at nil-nil. But the top class side were too good for Rotherham in the second half and two goals from Emile Heskey and one from Dieter Hamann gave them the tie despite having Igor Biscan sent off in the second half of the game.

Join The Vital Debate