Date: 17th May 2018 at 10:25am
Written by:
Rotherham United
2 – 0
Scunthorpe United

New York Stadium

League One Play-Off Semi-Final Second Leg

17/05/2018 7:45 pm

Attendance: 11061

Referee: Scott Duncan

Rotherham United Scunthorpe United
Wood (45+2), Vaulks (63)
Rodak Watson
Emmanuel Vermijl
Mattock Townsend
Ihiekwe (Ajayi 52) McArdle
Wood Wallace
Vaulks Ojo
Palmer Adelakun (McGeehan 62)
Towell Yates (Hopper 83)
Williams (Taylor 68) Holmes
Newell (Forde 90+5) Morris
Smith Toney (Novak 81)


Price Kelsey
Ajayi Burgess
Purrington Bishop
Forde McGheehan
Taylor Sutton
Ball Hopper
Lavery Novak

Game Statistics

19 Goal attempts 14
6 On Target 6
6 Corners 6
15 Fouls 11
0 Yellow Cards 2
0 Red Cards 1
44 % 56

It was scenes of delight at the end of ninety minutes at the New York Stadium as fans burst onto the pitch when the final whistle went knowing they were again on their way to Wembley.

To be fair, as a spectacle, the game wasn’t up to much in the first half with Scunthorpe probably having the majority of the play mostly from free-kicks they earned from falling to the floor every time a red shirt was near them. Their trainer was on the pitch longer than our last sub. Saying that, it was the hosts who had most clear-cut chances and in the last few seconds of time added on up popped skipper Richard Wood to head the ball into the back of the net to send the Millers and fans into half-time happy – well, not as nervous, remember this was the third time we’d been in front. The Millers might have gone in front earlier in the first half when Ryan Yates caught Ryan Williams after the ball had gone in the penalty area but referee Scott Duncan wasn’t interested, looking at the incident again today I think that was the wrong decision for the official.

Scunthorpe started the second half well and pulled the Millers around the pitch where we didn’t seem to be using our wide players to the best advantage. At times there were twenty players in our penalty box, eleven of those being Millers, so when we did get the ball away it was coming straight back as there was no-one there to collect. There were other times when we did get the ball away with Williams, Joe Newell or Josh Emmanuel who sent it on for Michael Smith who was on his own with nobody to pass too. Now, I’m not a Manager but that can’t be right. Both goalkeepers earned their wages last night showing off good skills. But just after the hour mark the young Rory Watson could do nothing when a cross from Smith found Emmanuel he took the ball into the box and tried to square it to Will Vaulks but while it hit a visiting defender it came back to the Millers number four and he sent the ball flying into the net. Two bookings for the visitors was followed by a second bad challenge on Newell from Rory McArdle saw Scunthorpe down to ten men for the final fifteen minutes of the game, which, effectively finished the Iron off.

Now it’s back to Wembley where the two Paul’s will do battle – Paul Warne for the Millers and Paul Hurst for the Shrews, both former team mates at Millmoor, both wanting to manage in the Championship.


Your Comment