Date: 19th April 2016 at 9:17am
Written by:

The man in charge of our game this evening will be . . . .

Graham Salisbury from Lancashire

Graham started refereeing in 1985 progressing through the West Lancashire and Northern Premier Leagues to reach National List status thirteen years later being promoted to the Referees’ List in 2001.

In the 2014/15 season Graham was in charge of our first and last home games. The first being in our one-nil home win against Wolves with Ryan Hall scoring the goal fourteen minutes from time. Graham showed five yellow cards that afternoon one to Kirk Broadfoot, Craig Morgan and Ben Pringle for the Millers with Scott Golbourne and Danny Batth getting carded for the visitors.

And in May 2015 he oversaw our win over Reading. Matt Derbyshire and Lee Frecklington scored for the Millers with Reading getting a late consolation goal from Oliver Norwood. The only booking of the game went to Derbyshire.

The season before Graham was in charge of our home game against MK Dons when Matthew Kennedy put the visitors in front on nine minutes. A few minutes into the second half Kieran Agard got the ball down the right and was pushed and pulled all the way by Brendon Galloway who eventually hauled the Millers striker down just outside the area. Mr Salisbury showed Galloway a second yellow and he went for an early bath. On the seventy-second minute the visitors doubled their lead after Izale McLeod chipped Adam Collin. Michael O’Connor made it two-one seven minutes later and an Alex Revell goal in time added on gave the home side a point from the game.

The Millers had a visit to Selhurst Park on a Tuesday night in October 2002 when they faced Wimbledon who were camping out there for a while. Neil Shipperley and David Connolly scored for the ‘home` side with Alan Lee getting a consolation for the visitors in the final minute of the game.

September 2004 saw the Millers in the Championship and Graham was in charge for our game at Millmoor against Crewe. Mark Burchill opened the scoring on seventeen minutes but Dean Ashton got an equaliser two minutes later from the penalty spot. Kenny Lunt put the visitors ahead just after the hour mark with Ashton getting his second and Crewe`s third ten minutes later. Shaun Barker scored three minutes from time to make it an interesting last few minutes but Crewe went home with all three points.

New Year`s Eve 2005 saw Doncaster Rovers visiting Millmoor and Graham officiating. Paul Heffernan received his marching orders for a second yellow card on sixty-eight minutes and a last gasp goal from Lee Williamson gave Rotherham the win.

November 2007 saw Rotherham travel to Brunton Park which ended one-one. Delroy Facey had put the visitors in front on twenty-one minutes but Kevin Gray equalised mid-way through the second half. Graham booked Paul Hurst from Rotherham and Carlisle`s Chris Billy that day.

Graham was also in charge of our game the following season at Millmoor against Chester which also ended one-all. Chris O`Grady put the hosts in front on fifty-seven minutes but a goal fourteen minutes later from Kevin Roberts gave the visitors a point.

In October 2008 Rotherham entertained Barnet at Don Valley and it was a game that, for a neutral, had everything in it with seven goals, a red card and penalties. Nick Fenton opened the scoring for the Millers but Luke Medley found an equaliser with his first goal of the season. Ten minutes later Alex Rhodes received a fantastic ball from Mickey Cummins and as he was about to take aim and shoot he was knocked to the ground by Max Porter who Mr Salisbury sent for an early bath. Mark Hudson took the resulting spot-kick but fluffed his lines and hit it straight at Harrison in the Bees` goal. The Millers were made to pay for that miss six minutes later when Albert Adomah put the visitors in front. The second half saw ten-men Barnet further their lead when Cliff Akurang made it three-one then four-one after he latched onto a terrible back-pass from Fenton and stuck it into the net. Ian Sharps pulled one back for Rotherham before Reuben Reid got himself into the box in the eightieth minute and after being pulled back the hosts got their second penalty of the afternoon which Mark Burchill took and scored to make the final score four-three to Barnet.

Later on in that same season Graham was in charge of our one-nil win, thanks to a Micky Cummins goal, at Lincoln.

The 2009/10 season saw Graham twice referee the Millers. The first time was our two-one win against Grimsby at Blundell Park when an Adam Le Fondre penalty and Micky Cummins got the Rotherham goals and later in the season at Don Valley when goals from Danny Harrison, Adam Le Fondre (penalty) and Drewe Broughton gave the Millers a three-one win over Macclesfield.

Graham was in the middle for two of our games the following season – and saw some goals! Our game against Burton at Don Valley ended three-all with the host`s goals scored by Kevin Ellison, Ryan Cresswell and Adam Le Fondre in the first thirty-eight minutes while Shaun Harrad got a second-half hat-trick for the visitors. Graham was at Don Valley again on New Years Day when goals from Nicky Law, Will Atkinson, Mark Randall and two from Ryan Taylor saw the Millers win five-nil. Stuart Tomlinson, Vale`s ‘keeper, saw red in the first half.

September 2011 saw Graham in charge of our four-nil loss away at Southend. The following season he was at the New York Stadium for our three-one win over Oxford. Sean Rigg gave the visitors an early lead but a penalty and then a goal from Michael O`Connor plus a Jason Taylor goal two minutes from time saw the Millers get all three points.

Graham has been in the middle for a few Millers games in the past, the first one being at Millmoor in January 2002 when Grimsby Town were the visitors. Rob Taylor put the visitors ahead ten minutes from the end of the first half with Alan Lee getting an equaliser for the Millers ten minutes from time.

In the thirty-three games Graham has officiated this season he has shown one hundred and fifteen yellow cards and seven red cards – one of those being to former Millers loanee Tom Hitchcock.

Running the line on Tuesday night will be . . . .

Matt Eva from Surrey
Michael Hanley from Liverpool

The Fourth Official will be . . . .

Geoff Eltringham from Tyne and Wear

Click for the forum