Date: 15th February 2018 at 9:57am
Written by:

The man in charge of our game at the Montgomery Waters Meadow will be . . . .

Carl Boyeson from East Yorkshire

Carl started his career in the Hull Sunday League before being promoted to the National List of Assistant Referees, via the Northern Premier League in 1996. In 2002 he reached the National List of Referees.

Carl’s last time in charge of a Millers game was earlier this season at the New York Stadium when Gillingham were the visitors. Josh Parker and Tom Eaves put the Gills in front with Kieffer Moore halving the deficit on fifty-seven minutes. Joe Mattock was sent off five minutes before time and a minute later Parker scored his second and the visitors third to give them all three points. Richard Wood for the Millers and Gillingham’s Connor Ogilvie saw yellowthat afternoon in October.

In March 2015 Carl was in the middle for our two-nil win at the John Smith’s Stadium. Kari Arnason and Conor Sammon scored the goals with the Millers going down to ten men on seventy-four minutes after Lee Frecklington had received a second yellow card.

Carl is not stranger to the Millers and was in fact the man in charge of our last game at Don Valley in May 2012. Northampton were the visitors and Alex Revell put the Millers in front just after the half-hour mark only for Adebayo Akinfenwa to equalise in the final minute of the game.

Carl was also in charge of our game at the New York Stadium in April 2013 when Fleetwood made their first visit there and he didn’t exactly win the home fans over. Daniel Nardiello put the Millers in front on the third minute but three minutes later a goal from David Ball saw the visitors equalise. Half-way through the first half Lee Frecklington set off at pace and, when he couldn’t catch him, Jamie McGuire resorted to pushing the Millers midfielder over, landing on top of him and then appeared to swing a punch at the former Lincoln player. When other players became involved Mr Boyeson seemed to take an age to sort it out and finally did by showing a yellow card to McGuire and being soundly booed by the Millers fans. Kieran Agard got the winner for the Millers just after the hour mark sending the Millers into fifth place in League Two.

Carl was in charge of a Millers game in August 2013 at Meadow Lane in League One when the only goal of the game was scored on thirty-seven minutes by Kieran Agard to give the Millers all three points. That day Carl showed four yellow cards – three to County players Mustapha Dumbuya, Enda Stevens and Andre Boucaud and Richard Brindley of Rotherham.

In April 2011 Carl was in the middle for our goalless draw at Don Valley against Hereford as well as our goalless draw, again at Don Valley against Notts County in October 2009. That day Carl showed a second yellow card to Nick Fenton seeing the Millers defender get an early bath on the fifty-first minute.

Boxing Day 2008 saw Carl at Don Valley when a poor challenge from Marc Joseph on just twenty-four minutes gave him no choice but to show him a red card. Drew Broughton gave the ten-men Millers all three points with a goal twenty-three minutes from time.

Carl was also in the middle for our one-all draw in January 2008 at Millmoor in January 2008 where Stephen Brogan scored the Millers goal. The season before saw Carl twice in charge of Millers games – firstly in September when Dave Hibbert gave Rotherham the lead on seven minutes only for Northampton to score two goals in the second half and again at the start of December when Yeovil were in town. Delroy Facey gave the Millers the lead followed two minutes later by an og from Terry Skiverton. Leon Best and Lee Morris made it two-all but a Will Hoskins penalty on the stroke of half-time gave the Millers a three-two win.

In 2005 the Millers trip to Victoria Park to take on Hartlepool ended nil-nil and the season before Carl was at Millmoor when Chesterfield were in town. Mark Allott put the visitors in front on fifteen minutes but Michael Proctor equalised eighteen minutes later and Richie Barker got the winner seven minutes from time.

September 2003 saw Carl again at Millmoor. Stoke were the visitors when a Darren Byfield penalty gave the hosts the lead and two more goals from Martin Butler in the second half gave Rotherham a much deserved three-nil win.

The first time Carl was in charge of the Millers was our League One game at Vicarage Road in February 2003. Tommy Smith put Watford in front just after the hour mark but goals from Martin McIntosh and Chris Swailes gave the Millers all three points.

This season Carl has been in the middle for twenty-six games showing seventy-three yellows and ten red cards.

Running the line at the New Meadow will be . . . .

Ian Rathbone from Northamptonshire
Nik Barnard from Cheshire

The Fourth Official will be . . . .

Joe Clark from the West Midlands

Click for the forum