Date: 15th March 2017 at 9:04am
Written by:

The man in charge of our trip to Loftus Road at the weekend will be . . . .

ANDY DAVIES from Hampshire

Andy was a former footballer at youth level with a number of clubs which helped when it came to climbing up the ladder in his refereeing and was appointed to the EFL Referees List for the 2012/13 season.

This will be the second time Andy has been in the middle for a Millers game this season – the first being last month at Griffin Park. After being brought back early from a loan spell Jota opened the scoring for Brentford on thirteen minutes. A header from Aimen Belaid on sixty-seven minutes equalised for the visitors before Nico Yennaris put the Bees back in front. Again Rotherham equalised when a long shot from substitute Anthony Forde went into the net. After Semi Ajayi was deemed to have handled the ball in the area in time added on Jota scored from the resulting penalty and then got his hat-trick on ninety-five minutes to make it four-two to Brentford. Yennaris and Jon Taylor saw yellow on the day.

The time before when Andy was in charge of the Millers was in April 2015 at Craven Cottage where Matt Derbyshire opened the scoring on four minutes but Ross McCormack equalised in the second half to give each team a point. Kirk Broadfoot saw yellow that day for Rotherham with the hosts having Michael Turner, Dan Burn and Danny Guthrie booked.

He was also in charge of our game two months earlier at Vicarage Road when two goals from Odion Ighalo and one from Troy Deeney gave the hosts a three-nil victory. Kari Arnason and Richie Smallwood saw yellow that evening.

The first time Andy reffed a Rotherham game was at the New York Stadium in March 2013 when Dagenham and Redbridge were the visitors. The game was going OK until the fifty-eighth minute when Kari Arnason and Medy Elito had a ‘coming together` just inside the box which Mr Davies was ignoring until his linesman got his attention. The next thing we knew was not only was Arnason shown a straight red but the Daggers were awarded a penalty which Elito duly took and scored from. Claude Davies got an equaliser on sixty-six minutes but eight minutes from time Luke Wilkinson got the winner for the visitors. Claude Davies and Daniel Nardiello were also booked that day. After the game Millers Manager Steve Evans said that when Andy Davies looked back on his performance he would be ‘as disappointed as I am.`

In the thirty-one games Andy has been in the middle for this season he has shown one hundred and eleven yellow cards and four red.

Running the line at Loftus Road will be . . . .

Dan Cook from Hampshire
Darren Blunden from Kent

The Fourth Official will be . . . .

Nicholas Kinseley from Essex