Date: 19th May 2013 at 10:01am
Written by:

Although the football season is all but finished there are a few interesting happenings involving the Millers on this day in the past

19th May 2012

A year ago today we were listening to the rumours that goalkeepers Richard O`Donnell and/or Rhys Taylor were on the verge of signing for the Millers and that former Leeds players Lloyd Sam and Ramon Nunez were next on Steve Evans` radar. Well none of these happened – Taylor WAS released by Chelsea but went to for a trial with Southend. O`Donnell went to Chesterfield, Sam did go to New York but it was New York Red Bulls in the USA and Nunez was injured in pre-season for a Leeds development squad.

19th May 2010

On this day two years ago a bumper crowd turned up at Don Valley to see a Millers victory over Aldershot Town that took them to Wembley in the League Two Play-Off Final.

Rotherham went into the game with a one goal advantage after Adam Le Fondre had put them ahead in the dying minutes four days earlier at the Recreation Ground in the first leg and it was Alfie again who sent the fans wild when he scored just before half-time in this second-leg game. On sixty-eight minutes Kevin Ellison made sure when he got on the end of a Nicky Law cross. Ripping his shirt off Big Kev ran towards the dugouts and only stopped running when the referee caught up with him and brandished a yellow card.

Millers Team That Day
Law (Warne)
Taylor (Broughton)
Le Fondre

Subs not used – Annerson, Green, Marshall, Walker, Bell-Baggie

19th May 2009

Mark Robins told us he was signing Jamie Annerson and told the young ‘keeper that he ‘ wouldn’t be here to warm the bench`.

After signing his first professional contract defender David Haggerty said he will be working hard over the summer to try and break into the first team.

Rotherham United let winger Alex Rhodes go at the end of the season and on this day four years ago he was ‘snapped up` by former-Millers Chris Wilder for his Oxford squad. (Alex went on to play just three times for Oxford.

19th May 2008

Five years ago today Pablo Mills was mulling over a new contract that the Millers had put to him with Mark Robins hoping it would all go smoothly. (He signed a two year deal two day later).

19th May 2007

Rotherham United were embroiled in an argument with former Chairman Ken Booth over who actually owned Millmoor.

Earlier this year the former chairman and landlord tried to repossess the ground after it was claimed the club owed him thousands of pounds unpaid rent. The case went to Rotherham County Court but was adjourned after the club started its own action at the High Court in Leeds.

It has now been revealed that CF Booth Ltd, Mr Booth’s company, is to go to the High Court to say that the action taken by the club be ‘struck out.’

Since February, as ordered, the club has been paying rent into an account which is held by the court.

<>19th May 2006

The fans weren’t happy when the prices for the games next season were announced. To pay on the day to go in the Tivoli would be £20 and Season Ticket Holders were amazed to find out their prices had gone UP £70 for the season. Those sitting in the Main Stand had a bigger hike which was even worse when you think they were sitting in a half-finished stand.

19th May 1999

Rotherham United took on Leyton Orient in the second leg of the Division Three Play-Off Semi-Final at Millmoor.

Fans crushed into the Tivoli, Millmoor Lane and Main Stand for this game with hundreds more stood on Coronation Bridge glimpsing what they could of the game through the gaps in the stands.

The first game, at Brisbane Road on the previous Sunday had ended nil-nil so it was all to play for as the teams went into this game. Unfortunately this game also ended nil-nil and went into extra time. With still no goals forthcoming we found ourselves in for the dreaded penalty shoot-out. Steve Thompson stepped up in front of the home fans in the Tivoli and, after a bit of argy bargy while Referee Clive Wilkes sorted something out he put the ball with as much power as he could right down the middle to make it one-nil to the Millers. Dean Smith for the O`s faced up to Mike Pollitt and put the ball in exactly the same place as Thompson had just done. Andy Roscoe came up to take the Millers second spot-kick and for some reason he was kept waiting again. Eventually taking the kick he tried to put it a little to the right but Scott Barrett in the visitors goal guessed the right way and punched the ball away. Martin Ling was next for Orient and taking along run up smashed the ball into the bottom left-hand side of then net. Two-one to Orient. Paul Hurst was next up for the home side and he ran from the half-way line to pick up the ball, placed it on the spot, turned and kicked but another good punch from Barrett stopped the ball going into the net. David Morrison took Orient`s third kick and, after another long run-up, Pollitt just failed to stop it going in the net. Three-one to the visitors and it was looking grim. Mark Williams, who had come off the subs bench to replace Alan Knill on sixty-five minutes, was next up for Rotherham. He placed the ball, walked backwards and shot it into the top of the net to make it three-two. With the Millers fans around the ground trying to put off Matt Lockwood, who took the fourth penalty for the visitors, he placed the ball and actually scuffed his kick but sent Pollitt the wrong way and made it four-two to Leyton Orient and the Millers missed out on a trip to Wembley.

19th May 1979

The Millers last game of the 1978/79 season was a trip to Field Mill to take on Mansfield Town when a goal from David Smith gave the Millers a one-nil win and the Millers ended the season in seventeenth place of the old Third Division.

Join The Vital Debate

Don`t forget, you can also catch Vital Rotherham on Facebook and Twitter!

Vital Rotherham on: facebook

Vital Rotherham on: twitter