Date: 28th June 2012 at 9:36am
Written by:

Rotherham United began October in fifth place in League Two.

The start of the month saw the Millers take a trip to Port Vale where they lost to two first half goals from Marc Richards.

Vital Rotherham Man of the Match – Lewis Grabban

After the game Manager, Andy Scott, said his players gave him ‘everything’ and it was two errors that lost the game.

After two losses the Millers took a break from the League and welcomed Sheffield United to Don Valley in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy. A crowd of 6,737 saw the Millers lose to a goal in six minutes of time added on at the end of the game from Ched Evans. On nine minutes the Blades went in front, a little against run of play, when Chris Porter put the ball past Andy Warrington from just inside the area. On sixty-nine minutes Lewis Grabban had a shot that bounced off the post but fell to Alex Revell deep inside the area and he put the ball into the net to make it one-all. With the Millers giving it there all, the ball went up the other end to Ched Evans who saw his shot hit the post and spin into the net.

Unfortunately, the six minute delay was down to the fact that Mark Bradley was stretchered off on the hour mark with a dislocated shoulder.

Vital Rotherham Man of the Match – Lewis Grabban

In his post-match interview Andy Scott said his team were ‘fantastic’ ending by saying, ‘We were the better side and I think everyone will admit that but, sometimes, you don’t get what you deserve in football.’

Andy Scott said he had to urgently do something about propping the defence up with Mark Bradley, Gareth Evans and Ryan Cresswell all out injured and Johnny Mullins just coming back from a long injury as well as Troy Brown being away with Wales on International duty.

Jamie Noble took over from Dale Spilby as Head of the Community Sports Trust while Commercial Director Steve Coakley left to join neighbours Sheffield United.

The next game for the Millers was at Don Valley when Burton Albion were in town. Andy Scott had a happy dilemma for a change, having to chose between ‘keepers Andy Warrington and Conrad Logan and, in the end, decided to give Warrington the nod.

The Millers lost their third league game in a row with a goal on eight minutes from Justin Richards which prompted Andy Scott to say he was getting sick of saying the same things as another defensive error lost the game for the Millers.

Vital Rotherham Man of the Match – Gareth Evans

The following Monday saw the Reserves lose five-nil at Roundwood to Hartlepool. The Millers had trialist Frenchman Alassane N`Diaye in midfield but, after being taken off at half-time, Reserve Manager, Darren Sarll didn’t think we’d be seeing anything else of him.

Meanwhile, Andy Scott said he was finding it very difficult to strengthen the squad but there was some good news when it was revealed that Ryan Cresswell had seen a surgeon and wouldn’t need surgery on ligament damage on his ankle.

As the Millers were getting ready for a Friday night game at the Memorial Stadium, Andy Scott signed not one, but two defenders. First to arrive was Guy Branston who said he was pleased to be back and thought it was an opportunity to play some first team football. Fast on his heels Jon Harley arrived from Notts County who said it was a ‘no brainer’ for him to join Rotherham.

Unfortunately, neither could help the Millers against Bristol Rovers. The home side went three up in the first thirty-two minutes – two goals from Scott McGleish (one a penalty) and the other from Cian Bolger. Five minutes later the Jason Taylor pulled one back for the Millers and seven minutes into the second half a Danny Schofield goal made it three-two and it was game on. Or at least that’s what we thought but Guy Branston, as is his want, went through the back of Lee Brown and referee Woolmer showed him a red card. Two minutes later Lee Brown made it four-two to Rovers and three minutes from the end Joe Anyinsah finished the Millers off with the Rovers fifth goal.

Vital Rotherham Man of the Match – Lewis Grabban

Two hundred and fifty-two Rotherham fans were at the game and Andy Scott said he was distraught for the travelling fans.

After the game, defender, Guy Branston, admitted he’d got it wrong with the tackle that earned him the red card.

On the 17th of the month Rotherham United secured a plot of land on which to build the new training ground which is situated on the former Outokumpu site on Bawtry Road, while, on the old Guest and Chrimes Site, we saw the first section of steelwork going in.
While here at Vital Rotherham we asked if we were in the midst of a ‘blip or a crisis’ Chairman, Tony Stewart came out and backed the manager asking the fans to do the same.

The Millers boss decided to put some fun back into training and lighten the mood while also saying, with the new training ground and new stadium being built, that it was exciting times.

Shrewsbury Town were the next visitors to Don Valley and when Lewis Grabban put the Millers in front on twenty-two minutes it looked like the winless run might be over only for Shane Cansdell-Sherriff to get an equaliser on forty-five minutes.

Alex Revell was absent as he attended the birth of his son.

Vital Rotherham Man of the Match – Dale Tonge

Andy Scott said it was probably a fair result in the end with the Millers being the better side in the first half but never getting going in the second half. He did say that he thought the back-four did well while defender, Michael Raynes, said he was ‘pleased’ with the improvement in the defence.

On the 25th of the month, Chairman Tony Stewart, declared that it was ‘a big day for Rotherham’ as the first piece of framework was put in at the new ground.

The Millers next game was a Tuesday night match at Morecambe. It started well (sarcastic) as the Millers were three-nil down on thirty-six minutes – the game was just two minutes old when Gary McDonald put the home side in front. A foul by Andy Warrington resulted in a penalty which Laurence Wilson took on twenty-seven minutes and eight minutes later Jon Harley was booked for an unfair challenge on Jason Price which resulted in another penalty and another goal for Wilson. The two hundred and eight travelling Millers feared the worse but on thirty-eight minutes Alex Revell was bundled over and Lewis Grabban scored from the penalty spot to make it three-one. Thirteen minutes into the second half Gareth Evans made it three-two and the come back was complete on sixty-three minutes when Alex Revell got on the end of a Danny Harrison cross and put the ball into the net to make it three-three which gave him the chance to celebrate with the ‘rocking the baby’ movement as he celebrated the birth of his son.

Vital Rotherham Man of the Match – Gareth Evans

Andy Scott had difficulty catching his breath after the game and said that, in the second half, there was only one team that were going to win – and it wasn’t Morecambe! He also said he was proud of his players for the way they came back. Alex Revell said he was just happy to get his size ten on the end of Danny Harrison’s cross.

With the Millers getting ready for the last game of the month against Northampton Andy Scott said that the players probably now realised that ‘his way was best’ saying, ”I hope the penny has dropped with a lot of the players. I think any player who had any doubts about what they should be doing are now very clear that what I want them to do works.’

The game at Sixfields ended in a one-one draw. Gareth Evans put the Millers in front on just two minutes but a bit of a blip from ‘keeper Conrad Logan when he seemed to catch a cross from Lewis Young but then saw it spin out of his hands over the line gave a point to the home team.

Some bad news for the Millers was that Michael Raynes was stretchered off after twenty-seven minutes with, what looks like, a bad knee injury

Vital Rotherham Man of the Match – Gareth Evans

After the game Logan said that although he was disappointed with the howler it was just one of those things that happen in football.

The final business of the month was the FA Cup draw which saw the Millers drawn away against non-league Barrow.

The Millers ended the month in fourteenth place in the league.

The Vital Rotherham Man of the Month was shared between Lewis Grabban and Gareth Evans, both being voted Man of the Match three times.

Join The Vital Debate

Don`t forget, you can also catch Vital Rotherham on Facebook and Twitter!

Vital Rotherham on: facebook

Vital Rotherham on: twitter