Date: 17th May 2011 at 9:49am
Written by:

Rotherham United started the season with new players – Ryan Cresswell, who was made captain, Tom Newey, Johnny Mullins, Mark Bradley, Luke Ashworth and Marcus Marshall, who had been on loan for the latter part of the previous season plus loanees Exodus Geohaghon from Peterborough, Dean Holden from Shrewsbury and Tom Elliot from Leeds United.

After six friendly games, two against Championship sides Hull City and neighbours Sheffield United, the first game of the season was at home to Lincoln City. It was a pretty even game with Adam Le Fondre opening the Millers goal scoring for the season on nine minutes. Seven minutes into the second half Mustapha Carayol equalised for the Imps but with two minutes to go, new skipper Ryan Cresswell won the game for the Millers.

Millers first team of the season
Jason Taylor
Harrison (Bradley)
Le Fondre

Subs not used – Annerson, Warne, Brogan, Green, Marshall, Darley

Ryan Cresswell and Dean Holden got into the Npower League Two Team of the week.

The League Cup came up next with a visit to London Road to take on League One side Peterborough United. Despite a brilliant start for the Millers when Marcus Marshall put the League Two side one up on nine minutes, the Posh were much too good for the visitors. Ryan Bennett and George Boyd had put the home side in the lead going into half time with Mark McLean and Craig Mackail-Smith getting two more in the second half.

Meanwhile, Manager, Ronnie Moore, admitted to putting in a ‘small’ bid for his son, Ian Thomas-Moore of Tranmere. This was rejected and a week later it was reported that the bid had been increased, although Moore also said he was ‘interested’ in Rory Fallon.

Back to the league and the first away game of the season for the Millers was at the Globe Arena, the new Morecambe stadium. The game was hard fought ending in a nil-nil draw.

Millers Chairman, Tony Stewart, put out a plea for more fans ahead of the next game against Cheltenham at Don Valley. He wanted to know where most of the eighteen thousand who followed the Millers to Wembley were.

The Cheltenham game was certainly a game of two halves, ten goals, two penalties that were both missed and a hat-trick. The game wasn’t five minutes old when Jeff Goulding put the visitors in the lead with Adam Le Fondre equalising twelve minutes later only for the visitors to go back in front on twenty-eight minutes when some poor defending let in Wesley Thomas to score. On thirty-six minutes the Robins went further in front from Shaun Jeffers with Danny Harrison pulling one back for the Millers four minutes before half-time. In the opening minutes of the second half, Tom Elliot was bundled over in the penalty area and up stepped Le Fondre only to see his spot kick saved but, luckily, the rebound fell to the striker and he popped it into the back of the net to make it three-three. Two minutes later Le Fondre got on the end of a Tom Newey free-kick and put the Millers in front for the first time that afternoon. Five minutes later Cresswell got in on the act and put away a header from a corner and Le Fondre got his fourth of the game on sixty-six minutes. The visitors were awarded a penalty, though no one really knows why, but Andy Warrington came into his own and brought off a great save from Thomas. After making two more good saves, Warrington was beaten on ninety minutes when Keith Lowe headed into the corner of the net to make it six-four.

Not surprisingly Alfie got himself into the Npower League Two Team of the Week.

Before the last league game of the month, striker Jeremiah Ani joined the Millers on loan.

We also heard this week that the new stadium was still on schedule with Mr Stewart saying , ‘Just because people aren’t hearing something every week doesn’t mean it isn’t progressing. We are being thorough and it will go up.’

The Millers made the long journey to Hereford to take on the Bulls and, thanks to a Paul Warne goal on the stroke of half-time, came back with all three points.

Both Warney and Skipper, Cresswell, were included in the Npower League Two Team of the Week.

The Thomas-Moore saga still rumbled on in the background, when Tranmere Manager, Les Parry, said he wasn’t happy with the way Rotherham United had gone about ‘chasing’ the striker and Ronnie Moore saying that he wouldn’t be held to ransom by Tranmere and would not be paying the one hundred thousand pounds that they were asking for the thirty-two year old.

Moore also admitted that there had been a bid for Alfie, though refused to say from who, but did say, I think someone`s playing games really. The money involved was a joke and swapping a player was a joke.’

The last game in August was in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy when Lincoln City were back in town. A goal just after half-time from Adam Le Fondre was enough to get the Millers into the second round.

Vital Rotherham asked, in a poll, how many goals you thought Alfie would get this season. The result was

around 25 48%
around 20 25%
25-30 19%
10-15 5%
Over 30 3%

In all competitions, Alfie got twenty-four goals this season, so the forty-eight per cent who said around twenty-five were more or less spot on.
Another poll we had was ‘Ronnie Moore – 5 games into the new season and what do you think of him now?’

The result was
I’ll reserve judgement until later in the season 37%
He’s doing a great job 34%
My thoughts haven’t changed since he came back 29%

At the end of the first month of the season the Millers were sitting in third place behind Shrewsbury and Torquay.

Join The Vital Debate

Vital Rotherham is now available on both facebook and twitter, so if you are that way inclined and more importantly understand all this new fangled dangled stuff, feel free to watch us, poke us or whatever else you are meant to do there!
Vital Rotherham on: facebook
Vital Rotherham on: twitter