Date: 11th October 2017 at 6:26pm
Written by:

Rotherham United Reserves 0 Port Vale Reserves 2

Rotherham United Reserves saw their first loss of the season yesterday afternoon when a Port Vale second string beat them in the Central League Cup at Roundwood to find themselves at top of the Cup group.

A mixed-age Millers side saw them have the first chance after a shot by Jerry Yates was deflected out for a corner which Ben Wiles took finding Manny Onariase who saw his header came off the crossbar and out to safety. Just three minutes later Vale took the lead when a Jack Stobbs free-kick saw Joe Davis get the better of Millers’ ‘keeper Lewis Price and head in at the near post. The visitors perhaps should have gone further in front five minutes later when another cross from Stobbs found Dan Turner bringing off a good save from Price. But seventeen minutes in they did score a second when a Stobbs corner found the head of Davis and rather struck Tom Anderson than he hit it and wrong-footed Lewis making it two-nil. Yates sent Mason Warren off who tried his luck from twenty-five yards out with Vale’s ‘keeper Sam Hornby catching the ball at a second attempt followed by a super run by Alex Bray who got a good ball into the area but there was no-one there to collect. Price did well to get his fingertips to a Davis header before getting down well to stop a shot from Turner going in.

The hosts came out better for the second half with Jonson Clarke-Harris having a couple of shots saved by Sam Hornby. On the hour mark David Ball made way for Darnelle Bailey-King for the Millers while Port Vale replaced Rekeil Pyke with Cristian Montana. Alex Bray was making a nuisance of himself with nothing coming from it before Clarke-Harris was replaced by Kuda Muskwe. Some nice work from Mason Warren saw him get the ball to Ben Wiles who saw his shot go just wide before Josh Emmanuel got himself into a shooting position only to see Hornby hold onto the ball. The Millers made another couple of substitutes seeing Akeel Francis on for Lewis Marr and Tom Maguire replace Yates. In the final two minutes of the game Lewis Price did well to save at full length from Montana.


Murr (Maguire)
Yates (Francis)
Clarke-Harris (Muskwe)
Ball (Bailey-King)

Sub not used – Bilboe

Pyke (Montana)
de Freitas <​i>
Subs not used – Crockwell, Ryder, Steele, Benns