Date: 27th August 2014 at 11:07am
Written by:

Rotherham United bowed out of the Capital Cup last night, defeated but not downhearted, after losing by the slightest of margins to Premiership opposition Swansea City.

After a ten minute delay due to ticketing problems at the Liberty Stadium the Millers started brightly with the first corner of the game going to the visitors after a good run from Jordan Bowery saw Dwight Tiendalli hurriedly put the ball out for a corner which saw the Swans defence look on helplessly as the ball bounced about in their area before being hacked away. Minutes later the Millers were awarded a free-kick which Ben Pringle found Michael Tidser with but the midfielder sliced his shot and went wide. Some nice football from the hosts saw Tiendalli get in a low shot which just fails to reach Baf Gomis before being cleared but only as far as Nathan Dyer whose shot was blocked by Millers skipper Craig Morgan. Millers ‘keeper Scott Loach was then brought into the action and did well to stop a shot from Josh Sheehan before he came out to block a shot from Jazz Richards. A minute later he wasn`t so lucky after the home side were awarded a free-kick which they took quickly getting it to Gomis on the edge of the area who worked himself into a shooting position and rolled the ball into the corner of the net to open the scoring. Just before the half-hour mark a Pringle corner found the head of the busy Alex Revell but the Wembley hero put the ball over the bar and a minute later a long throw from Kari Arnason towards Lee Frecklington in the area wasn`t controlled and went flying high over into the empty stand behind. At the other end some good work from Gomis found Jefferson Montero but the Ecuadorian winger`s shot didn`t bother Loach while a Sheehan free-kick to Federico Fernandez saw the Argentinian head over. This was followed by the first yellow card of the game which was to the Millers Kari Arnason for kicking the ball away in temper and from the resulting free-kick some good work from Swansea saw Tiendalli`s shot hit the side netting.

In the opening minutes of the second half only a last gasp tackle from Kyle Bartley stopped Alex Revell from getting a shot away while Kirk Broadfoot earned himself a bit yellow after tugging Jefferson Montero back. Another long throw from Kari Arnason caused the Swans problems and only another last-ditch block stopped Lee Frecklington while Ben Pringle saw his shot loop over the crossbar. Five minutes into the half Jordan Bowery shrugged off the attention of Dwight Tiendalli and tried his luck from the edge of the box only for Munich born Gerhard Tremmel, in the home goal, to make a comfortable save. The Millers earned themselves another free-kick which Pringle bent round the wall finding the head of Richard Wood who put the ball over and at the other end Jonjo Shelvey, on for Jay Fulton, got by the Millers defence to shoot only to see Scott Loach make a good save. Just after the hour mark Richard Brindley, on for Broadfoot, was the third man in a red shirt to see yellow after pulling back Montero while the play had to stop for a few minutes when Mat Sadler and Nathan Dyer clashed heads with Sadler coming off the worst and had to be replaced by Joe Skarz. Wilfried Bony comes on for Baf Gomis and was soon in the action receiving two lovely passes but put both shots high and wide. The Swans fans were up and cheering on seventy-seven minutes before realising that Montero had hit the side netting and a few minutes later Craig Morgan was on hand to divert a Shelvey cross that was meant for Bony and with the visitors looking to counter Tom Carroll dragged back Skarz earning himself a yellow card for his troubles. In the final five minutes of the game Conor Newton, on for Tidser, pounced on a loose ball and worked his way into the box only to blaze over before Morgan receives his fourth booking of the season after stopping a run from Bony. An excellent challenge from Richard Wood stops the Ivory Coast international getting in a shot while the striker puts the ball wide just before referee Stephen Martin blows the full-time whistle.

OK we lost one-nil – away from home to a very strong side. The team of Rotherham United did not disgrace themselves in anyway last night and I think Garry Monks team will know they were in a game.


2 Replies to “Narrow Loss To Swans Sees Millers Out Of Cup”

  • ‘ … Alex Revell had another good game, though must be slightly frustrated due to the lack of balls he’s getting into the box.’ That’s all he had. The insistence on lumping high balls into the penalty area rather than using the quite skilful midfield players to create openings made Rotherham very one-dimensional. You appeared to have players who were far better than the style they played.

  • I really think we missed Taylor last night – he’s been getting great balls into the box. But I do take your point on board RDD1 and we do have skillful midfielders who aren’t used as well as could be. Personally I’d like to see at least two up front and not just one

Comments are closed.