Date: 10th February 2018 at 7:32pm
Written by:

Rotherham United’s unbeaten run carries on as they came away from Glanford Park this afternoon with all three points after beating Scunthorpe two-one.

The game was only a couple of minutes old when David Ball won the ball off the Iron’s Neal Bishop to send Joe Newell through on goal only for him to see his shot blocked followed by Michael Smith getting the better of Rory McArdle but deemed to have controlled the ball with his arm. At the other end Marek Rodak did well to claim the ball from a Tom Hopper header and Richie Towell did well to stop Conor Townsend sending the ball into the area. On ten minutes Smith might have done better with a header which went over before a shot-come-cross from Newell went out. It was Newell ten minutes later who had another chance, this time from a cross from Josh Emmanuel to his head but he put it inches over. Hopper threatened again for the hosts but Semi Ajayi was there to get a vital foot in before Rodak came flying out of his goal to get to a cross before Hopper. On the half-hour mark Rodak got down to a Duane Holmes shot but didn’t hold on before falling and gathering at the second attempt with Hopper’s boot flying towards him. A minute later the Millers were in front after the home defence failed to deal with the long throw from Will Vaulks and it fell to Newell who hooked the ball into the far corner of the net sending the visiting one thousand plus fans wild. Joe Mattock did well at the other end to win a dual with Ivan Toney which was followed by a shot from McArdle which he sent wide from some ten yards out. With five minutes of the half left Rodak couldn’t hold onto a drive from Funso Ojo and when the ball fell to Toney he went down under a challenge from the Millers ‘keeper asking for a penalty but referee Graham Salisbury shook his head.

Scunthorpe came out quickly in the second half and had a chance to equalise just five minutes in when former Miller’s loanee Josh Morris got the ball on the edge of the area and sent it in for Ivan Toney who looked certain to score but put the ball just wide. Michael Smith was the first to see yellow for a couple of nothing fouls (who was watching when he was being pulled left and right by Scunthorpe players?) before Will Vaulks tried his luck from just inside the box but the ball lifted over the crossbar into the Millers fans behind the net. A couple of Joe Newell corners had to be defended by the hosts before one found Smith who put his header into the side netting. The Iron made the first substitution with Lee Novak replacing Tom Hopper followed by Ryan Williams coming on for Joe Newell for the Millers. Williams was on the ball straight away sending Joe Mattock on his way whose shot was put behind for a corner which saw Williams find Richard Wood at the back who headed back across goal to Semi Ajayi who saw his shot scrambled clear. On the seventieth minute Anthony Forde got the ball into Will Vaulks who saw his shot blocked with the ball looping up to Ajayi who headed home to make it two-nil in front of the travelling fans. However the lead was cut back to one just a minute later when a short back-pass from Josh Emmanuel saw Novak pounce and rounding Marek Rodak and evading Joe Mattock put the ball into an empty net to make it two-one. David Ball was then replaced by Caolan Lavery for the visitors and Hakeeb Adelakun replaced Neal Bishop for the Iron. A yellow card was shown to Marnick Vermijl for a poor challenge on Williams and minutes later Ajayi saw yellow for fouling Toney. Ojo tried his luck from just outside the box but it didn’t bother anyone before Duane Holmes saw yellow for a challenge on Williams. As the game was coming towards the ninety minute mark Luke Williams came on for Scunthorpe replacing Conor Townsend and Emmanuel saw yellow for a foul. The board went up for an extra eight minutes (no idea where all that time came from). Forde was the next to get a yellow card and both Will Vaulks for the Millers and Duane Holmes for the Iron had chances to add to the scoreline.

It really should have been easier than that for the Millers this afternoon with Scunthorpe not really at the races in the opening forty-five. But we came away from Glanford Park with all three points and fetching us within one point of our hosts with a game in hand and making it eleven games unbeaten.

Good game today and great to see so many Rotherham fans getting behind the team.

Click for the forum