Date: 28th August 2010 at 9:17pm
Written by:

Rotherham United continued their good start to the season this afternoon at Edgar Street when a Paul Warne goal on the stroke of half-time gave them three points.

It was the home side who had the first chance of the game when Janos Kovacs (who is probably the biggest whinger I have ever seen on a football field) found himself free at the back post but headed straight into the arms of Andy Warrington in the Millers goal. A few minutes later James McQuilkin had a shot from the edge of the box that went just past the far post while, on sixteen minutes, Andy Warrington did well to save a header from Sean Canham. The Millers started to settle into the game and kept possession for long periods of time and on thirty minutes a Kevin Ellison free-kick was deflected wide for a corner following which Ellison and O`Neil Thompson had a few words. Tom Newey then went on a solo run down the wing but Ryan Green was on hand to stop him getting the ball to anyone in the box and Exodus Geohaghon almost got himself a chance with some indecisive defensive work from the home side but Green again saved the situation. When it looked to all like it would be nil-nil at half time the Millers got a throw-in and quick thinking Nicky Law threw the ball to Adam Le Fondre who chipped it into the six yard box for Paul Warne to throw himself at the ball and nod it into the back of the net sending the two hundred travelling fans wild.

Hereford came out for the second half looking like a team possessed and within seconds Stuart Fleetwood got a ball into Canhem whose shot was well saved by Warrington and a minute later Thompson headed woefully wide. The Bulls did get the ball in the net but Joe Colbeck was judged to be off-side. An Ellison free-kick, just after the hour mark, had Le Fondre stretching to reach it but all he did was put the ball wide. Fleetwood should have equalised on sixty-seven minutes but he was put off his stride by Dean Holden and skewed the ball wide of the post. At the other end a Law corner found the head of skipper Ryan Cresswell but his header went just over the bar and minutes later Law himself had a chance to double the lead but put his shot wide of the post. A cross from Green found McQuilkin but the legs of Warrington saved the Millers and in the final minutes it was all Hereford but luckily the Millers hung on to take all the three points home.

The game, especially in the second half, was very stop start, mostly because the referee, Mr Rushton, seemed intent on letting major incidents deal with themselves and stopping the game and brandishing yellow cards for silly things which slowed the game down.

The Millers got three points, which is really the point of the exercise, but they didn`t half make it hard work