Date: 14th January 2012 at 6:13pm
Written by:

Two goals in two minutes was enough to give visitors Swindon Town a victory at a frosty Don Valley this afternoon.

The Millers were the first to push forwards but some poor passing stopped the front men getting the ball. On five minutes Chris Holroyd saw an effort block and on ten minutes Jason Taylor had the first real chance of the game. The Millers midfielder’s first shot, from the edge of the area, hit a Swindon player but he got a second chance with the rebound but only managed to blaze the ball over the bar. Eight minutes later Alex Revell got himself into a good position but, like Taylor’s before it, he put the ball way over the bar. At the other end Rhys Taylor, in the Millers goal, did well to stop a header from Paul Benson. On nineteen minutes, however, the visitors did take the lead after a clearance from the Millers bobbled in the box and Matt Richie hit the ball from the edge of the box and it, somehow, found it’s way into the back of the net. Just two minutes later Swindon were two up with Richie again picking up a loose ball and his rising effort went into the top corner of the net leaving Rhys Taylor with no chance. It was nearly three-nil five minutes later when Benson latched onto a short backpass from Sam Wood but the Millers ‘keeper managed to turn the ball behind and from the resulting corner, Billy Bodin got in an overhead kick that was blocked on the line. After that the Millers saw a lot of the ball but just didn’t seem to be able to do anything with it although Wesley Foderingham did well to get down to a Gareth Evans effort.

The Millers came out for the second half actually looking like they wanted to win and, just eight minutes in, a great cross from Chris Holroyd found the head of Alex Revell who’s close range header left Foderingham standing as the ball hit the back of the net. At the other end Rhys Taylor was equal to a Paul Caddis shot while Johnny Mullins had to step in and block a shot from Benson. On seventy-three minutes, the Millers came close to equalising when a corner was only half cleared by the Robins and falling to Lewis Grabban twenty yards out he let fly and it crashed against the post and went to safety. Revell had a chance to level but his shot went over the bar while Benson failed to make contact with a Ritchie cross to make it three-one to the visitors.

Some poor play in the first half – which included bad crosses, poor defending and lethargy – probably cost us this game today. In the end, I feel that we really did deserve a point.