Date: 1st April 2009 at 1:37am
Written by:

Rotherham United won their ninth away game of the campaign and have just about sealed Luton’s fate at Kenilworth Road this evening.

Just how Luton lost this six goal thriller, I don’t think anyone really knows as they dominated most of the game and many Millers fans, even at four-two up were sitting on the edge of their seats biting their nails. After a couple of good saves from Millers ‘keeper, Andy Warrington, it was Reuben Reid who was first to a bouncing ball and blasted it past Dean Brill for his seventeenth goal of the season on eleven minutes. On the quarter of an hour mark, Warrington was badly challenged after taking the ball and in the resulting scuffle in the area Chris Martin of Luton and Pablo Mills of Rotherham were shown yellow cards. And with the home side looking for an equiliser Kevin Gallen had a shot that went just wide and Warrington got his fingertips to a Martin shot to push it round the post. But it was the visitors who almost doubled their lead on thirty minutes when Drewe Broughton squared a ball to Reid but his shot went agonisingly wide. At the other end, Marc Joseph blocked a shot from Kevin Nicholls before the Millers got their second as Jason Taylor’s long throw seemed to hit Reid and rebound to Broughton who slid along the floor and from an acute angle put the ball past Brill and into the net. Five minutes later, The Hatters pulled one back when Tom Craddock cut the ball back to Asa Hall whose dangerous cross was met by Martin at the back post and he headed the ball past Warrington.

It took just eight minutes of the second half for the Millers to extend their lead when a Joseph corner
eventually found the head of Danny Harrison who outjumped every other player on the pitch to power his header into the back of the net from ten yards out. But still the home side came back and should have scored fifteen minutes later when a shot from Craddock was deflected just wide. Ryan Taylor, on for Broughton, had the ball saved by Brill at the other end before Luton gave themselves a lifeline and Hall, on the edge of the area, turned and shot leaving Warrington standing staring as the ball rolled into the back of the net. Straight away the visitors charged to the other end and Dale Tonge unleashed a shot that rattled Brill’s crossbar before they sealed the game in the eighty-fifth minute when Reid ran to the edge of Luton’s area, passed the ball to Mark Hudson, on for Burchill, who smashed it past Brill for number four.

A great result for the Millers but, even I, as an ardent fan, am wondering how Luton didn’t get something from this game.