Date: 5th February 2011 at 6:46pm
Written by:

Rotherham United won this scrappy, and at times uninteresting, game easily in the end, beating Crewe Alexandra three-one at a wet Don Valley this afternoon.

The Millers were the better team in the first twenty minutes of the game, although neither side really tested the ‘keepers, but it was the visitors who had the first chance when Byron Moore skipped past the Millers defence but his shot across goal missed everyone and went wide. A minute later, Ryan Taylor had a chance but his shot was blocked by Crewe defenders. Minutes later Taylor again had a chance but his header went well wide while Adam Le Fondre was a tad unlucky to have a foul given against him when he went past Patrick Ada who fell down like he’d been tackled by Frank Bruno. Le Fondre was unlucky a few minutes later when he’d run onto a long ball, and shot from just outside the area with Crewe ‘keeper, Rhys Taylor suddenly alert to the danger, the ball went just out of play. Crewe’s first shot towards goal was on the half hour mark but Danny Shelley’s free kick didn’t trouble Andy Warrington and not long afterwards Warrington did very well to come out and smother from AJ Leitch-Smith, . In the final ten minutes, Johnny Mullins couldn’t quite get to a ball from Nicky Law and not long afterwards, Jason Taylor had a shot turned away for a corner. The Millers took a short corner and got the ball to Marcus Marshall who drilled a low cross into the area towards Le Fondre. The striker missed the ball but Nick Fenton was behind him and put the ball into the back of the net to give the Millers the lead at half-time.

The second half started in a deluge of rain making the going slow and it was the hour mark before the first chance came when Ian Thomas Moore got free and brought a good save from Taylor who tipped the ball over the bar. Two minutes later, Lee Bell walked through the Millers defence and with all the players in red and their fans expecting the linesman to raise his flag for off-side, Leitch-Smith calmly put the ball into the back of the net. Minutes later, Luke Murphy had a shot saved by Warrington and then Leitch-Smith had a shot that went wide. With Rotherham on the back foot they got a free kick and when Tom Newey hit the ball into the wall it rebounded to Nicky Law but he wasted the opportunity and put the ball way over the bar while, at the other end, Shelley had a shot that drifted wide. Then the Millers re-took the lead when Ryan Taylor flicked the ball on, and with Patrick Ada misjudging the bounce of the ball, it fell to the ever waiting Le Fondre who lifted it over Rhys Taylor and it slowly made it’s way over the net to the delight of the Millers fans. Five minutes later the Millers made it three with a terrific strike from Ryan Taylor when he unleashed an unstoppable shot from some thirty yards out.

Good result for the Millers today that keeps them in third place and leaves a gap between them and Gillingham in seventh place