Date: 3rd December 2011 at 8:59pm
Written by:

Rotherham United let a one-goal lead slip this afternoon at the Greenhous Meadow which sees them out of the FA Cup at the second round stage.

The home side started the brighter and Conrad Logan had to be alert early on to save a cross from James Hunt as he looked into the bright sunshine. On six minutes the game was stopped when Guy Branston went over clutching his head after Marvin Morgan had fouled him but the big defender was soon back on the pitch. The Millers first chance came on eleven minutes when Brett Williams managed to turn former Millers skipper, Ian Sharps, and fired in a shot which Chris Neal did well to get away to safety. At the other end Sam Wood was on hand to deny Terry Gornell a shooting chance Conrad Logan got down well to keep a Lionel Ainsworth shot out at the near post while Johnny Mullins was in the right place to charge down a shot from Morgan. The Millers then got on top, although they failed to create much and Williams saw a couple of chances go wide before Logan was in action again at the other end when he managed to claw away a Gornell shot that looked destined for the top corner. Just two minutes later Marcus Marshall put through a ball to Wood who was tripped by Matt Richards and the referee pointed to the spot. Lewis Grabban stepped up and scored his fourth penalty of the season. With the Millers looking to finish the half strongly, disaster struck in the shape of a second yellow card for Marcus Marshall after a mistimed tackle on Mark Wright. From the resulting free-kick Sharps nearly equalised but saw his header glance just over Logan`s crossbar.

In the opening minute of the second half, Alex Revell put in a low cross but Wood couldn`t quite get there and at the other end, a Shrews corner was flapped at by Logan, although he seemed to be impeded before Sharps scrambled the ball over the line for the equaliser. Minutes later Logan made amends by holding onto a fierce left-footed shot from Ainsworth. James Hunt came close just after that when his shot beat Logan but went the wrong side of the post and just after the hour mark, Logan punched away a Morgan shot which, luckily for the Millers, Gornell wasn`t quick enough to react to the re-bound that came his way. Ten minutes later Logan was called upon again when a Morgan shot looked like it was just going over but took a wicked deflection and, somehow, Logan became elastic-man and arched his back to tip the ball over. Despite all the hosts pressure, the Millers came close to re-taking the lead when a Danny Schofield free-kick took the slightest of deflections from Mullins and with Neal rooted to his line, he was relieved to see it bounce just wide of the upright. But, with eight minutes to go, Mullins was adjudged to have brought Morgan down in the area, though how that could be when the Shrews striker was holding onto Tom Newey only the man with the whistle knows. A penalty was given and Nicky Wroe coolly put the ball past Logan into the back of the net to send his side into the hat for tomorrow`s draw for the third round.

Despite the result and being out of the Cup, I was quite pleased with our defending today – especially Johnny Mullins, who seemed to be here, there and everywhere. And, actually, I really thought we were the better side until the red card.