Date: 23rd October 2010 at 6:49pm
Written by:

Rotherham United were beaten by a controversial penalty in the last six minutes of a seven goal thriller at Don Valley this afternoon by Wycombe Wanderers meaning that the Millers drop to fourth in the table.

The Millers started the game without skipper Ryan Cresswell who failed a fitness test before the game and Ronnie Moore brought in Luke Ashworth for his first league start. As the heavens opened it was Rotherham who had the first chance when Johnny Mullins curled in a super cross for Kevin Ellison but the tall player saw his shot sail over the crossbar with the Millers appealing for a penalty as Ellison was pulled back as he shot but referee Peter Quinn shook his head. From the resulting goal kick the ball fell to Gareth Ainsworth whose ball seem to hit Mullins and rebounded off him to Kevin Betsy who will probably not score an easier goal than that this season. Adam Le Fondre had the chance to equalise on seventeen minutes but he fired woefully wide from five yards out and a minute later the visitors went two up when Betsy found Matt Bloomfield and he got past two defenders and shot past Andy Warrington from some twenty yards out. Le Fondre halved the score on twenty-one minutes when Mullins and Tom Pope linked well to get the ball to the Millers` top scorer and this time he made no mistake and slotted the ball past Nikki Bull in the Chairboys goal. Five minutes later the Millers got a free-kick and Bull did very well to save from a Nicky Law curling shot. On thirty-nine minutes the Millers got another free kick and Nicky Law found Jason Taylor who shot through a host of players and past an unsighted Bull into the bottom corner of the net for the equaliser. And minutes later Law had a glorious chance to put the Millers in front for the first time when he found himself alone in the area but somehow shot wide with the goal gaping. That seemed to spur the visitors on and they raced up the other end where Betsy`s shot at goal was blocked but the ball fell to Ben Strevens who curled it in past Warrington to give Wycombe a three-two lead at half-time.

The first shot of the second half was on fifty-four minutes when Pope got the ball from a Law corner but his shot was easily held by Bull and a minute later, at the other end, Exodus Geohaghon managed to hurry Betsy into a shot and it hit a defender instead of the net and went out to safety. With the Millers leaving more holes at the back than a pound of Leerdammer cheese, it seemed likely that the visitors would score again and Bloomfield nearly did just that but the Millers were saved by the upright post. Then it was the Millers who got a goal when Chris Westwood climbed all over Geohaghon in the penalty area, referee Quinn pointed to the spot and Le Fondre made no mistake to get the equaliser. Straight after that, Pope got a ball to Marcus Marshall, on for Law and the tall winger shot at goal only to see Andy Sandall there to block his shot. From that corner Jason Taylor got the ball and Bull did well to get down to save and then save the rebound from reaching Mullins. Then, on eighty-four minutes Betsy got the ball and ran into the area and, with Mullins close on his heels, the thirty-two year old seemed to fall over and with the linesman pointing for a corner, the referee pointed to the penalty spot. With the Millers protesting and the linesman seeming to be on their side the ref went over to have a word with his official and both then decided it was a penalty. Scott Rendell was given the job of taking it and he slotted it home to make it four-three to the visitors.

Well, we saw seven goals today so it must have been an entertaining game – mustn`t it??? For me Rotherham looked out of sorts today – there was little running and they often looked ill at ease and to be honest looked like ‘tomorrow will do`. What with that and losing our home record the only good news of the day came at half-past five when it was announced that we`d signed midfielder Mark Randall from Arsenal.