Date: 13th December 2016 at 9:50pm
Written by:

Despite taking the lead at Craven Cottage the Millers came away with nothing from this evenings game, losing two-one to Fulham.

It was the Millers who had the first chance on just three minutes when Izzy Brown ran into space passing to Danny Ward who saw his shot saved by David Button in the home goal. Fulham were soon in the game with the first corner going to the hosts on seven minutes after Joe Mattock put the ball behind which ended up being headed behind by skipper Richard Wood for another Fulham corner which was short towards Ryan Sessegnon but Ward raced out to block. On ten minutes Wood did well to get his body behind a shot from Sone Aluko putting the ball behind for another Fulham corner which fell to Tom Cairney who saw his shot go wide. Despite the hosts having the majority of the possession in the opening fifteen minutes the Millers had a second chance to open the scoring and with Brown being pulled and pushed he managed to get himself on a one-on-one situation but Fulham were saved by Sessegnon who put the ball behind. Anthony Forde’s corner reached the head of Tom Adeyemi who brought off a fingertip save from Button. But the Cottagers ‘keeper was helpless to save on nineteen minutes when a great move from Adeyemi found Brown who got a superb ball to Joe Newell. Newell looked up and shot from distance smashing the ball into the bottom corner of the net to give the Millers the lead. At the other end some good work from Lewis Price in the Millers goal denied a curling shot coming in at the back post from Floyd Ayite. A minute later Button did well to get down to a shot from Darnell Fisher before a header from Ayite went wide at the other end. On the half-hour mark the hosts equalised after Stefan Johansen got down the middle and seeing his original shot hit a white shirt it came back to him and giving Price no chance he hit the ball into the net to make it one-all. Five minutes later Brown went down with an injury forcing him to be replaced by Jon Taylor. And it could have been two for the hosts when Ayite stole the ball off Taylor but a good parried shot from Price saw the ball go behind and with three minutes to the end of the half Wood had to be wary and did well to stop an Aluko effort go towards goal. A minute later Price pulled off a super save when he palmed a great header from Cairney over the bar with the resulting effort being put out for another corner by Vaulks which was put wide by Michael Madi.

Fulham began the second half with Lucas Piazon replacing Kevin McDonald. Lewis Price did well in the opening minutes when he rushed out of his goal to claim the ball. Good work from Jon Taylor who got himself free and found Danny Ward but the Millers striker put the ball over, although would probably have been flagged off-side anyway. Price did well to stop a Sone Aluko shot before he had to be on his mettle to stop a shot from Ryan Sessengon. But on fifty-four minutes the hosts took a deserved lead when a cross from substitute Piazon found Floyd Ayite who slotted the ball home. Richard Wood did well a few minutes later when he managed to get in the way of an Aluke shot before a double substitution saw Danny Ward and Tom Adeyemi make way for Lee Frecklington and Dexter Blackstock. The first impact Frecklington had was to give a free-kick away in a dangerous area which Stefan Johansen swung past the wall and with Price left wanting the ball skimmed the post and went past. Price had to make a stop with his feet when a deflected shot from Cairney looped up. On sixty-seven minutes it looked like it was going to be down and out for the Millers when referee Stephen Martin pointed to the spot as Michael Madl went down, when it didn’t look like there was a blue shirt near him. Chris Martin stepped up but Price did well to save with his feet. After a slip by Joe Mattock Price did well to rush out of his area and punt the ball to safety. Two minutes later Aluko got past the Millers defence only to see his shot deflected behind. With fifteen minutes to go a Piazon lofted cross found Martin whose shot comes off the post into the waiting arms of Price. Cairney was the next to try his luck but a shot from long range went out before an Aluko shot ended up with the Fulham fans behind the net. It was all Fulham and when Cairney picked out Ryan Fredericks his cross to Martin, who was left on his own, was a fraction away from him. A rare foray up the other end saw a Joe Mattock cross find the head of Richard Wood but the Millers skipper put the ball straight into the arms of David Button. Fulham brought on Scott Parker for Sone Aluko with eight minutes to go. Joe Newell, who had been doing well in defence, stopped Piazon grasp at his shot and saw it go wide. In the last minute of the half the Millers could have equalised when a throw in found Wood who flicked on to Frecklington who shot only to see Button save. On ninety minutes a corner kick found Cairney and only Price spreading himself stopped the midfielder scoring. As the game went into three minutes of time added on Wood saw a yellow for a late tackle on Johansen before Wood got his header to a Millers free-kick but was deemed to be off-side.

It started so well for Warney’s lads this evening going in front but they had to defend in numbers for quite a lot of the game.

Hey ho onto Saturday and a South Yorkshire derby

Click for the forum