Date: 20th August 2017 at 10:35am
Written by:

Rotherham United are still looking for their first away win of the season – actually their first away win since April 2016 – after coming back from one down yesterday afternoon at Peterborough to lose two-one.

It was a lively game and one that any neutral would probably have enjoyed as Peterborough got into the swing of things first ending with Jack Marriott skying the ball over Richard O’Donnell’s crossbar in the opening minute from five yards out. After a Joe Newell free-kick went into the crowd behind the goal Posh should probably have gone in front when Anthony Grant got by his marker and got the ball over to Marriott whose shot hit the bar and fell into the grateful hands of O’Donnell before he forced the Millers ‘keeper into a good save a minute later. At the other end Jonathan Bond was put under pressure by his own player when Jamie Proctor put in a lovely ball towards Kieffer Moore only for Ryan Tafazolli to get in the way and send it towards goal which Bond eventually got to. On the quarter of an hour mark the Millers should have been one-up when Ryan Williams’ great cross to Proctor saw the striker let the ball go past him with just the ‘keeper there. Darren Potter and Moore were playing well together but couldn’t quite get in right in the box before some nice work from Marriott at the other end saw his shot go just over. The Millers could have gone ahead on twenty-five minutes but a resilient Posh defence kept the ball out from Williams, Proctor and Moore. O’Donnell was called on with ten minutes of the half to go making a save with his feet when one-on-one with Leo Da Silva before some nice work from Michael Ihiekwe saw the ball fall to Proctor who was denied again by Bond with the following corner coming to Newell whose shot went over.

The Millers must still have been in the dressing room when Peterborough opened the scoring on forty-seven minutes. A ball from Junior Morais found Jack Marriott whose low shot seemed to hit Richard O’Donnell’s outstretched hand then the post before going into the net. But the Millers woke up and after a shot from Joe Newell went across the box it fell to Ryan Williams who hit the ball just wide. On fifty-five minutes the Millers did equalise after a superb cross from Lee Frecklington found the head of Kieffer Moore who headed the ball into the back of the net sending the thousand visiting fans wild. At the other end O’Donnell did well at his near post to deny Morais before Frecklington makes headway down the field and had a shot which went out for a corner. Marcus Maddison tried to get a penalty by falling over in the box but all he got was a yellow card from referee Joyce before him and Marriott’s one-two saw the latter hit the woodwork. ON sixty-five minutes the visitors thought they’d gone ahead after a superb centre in from Williams found Jamie Proctor who just had to head the ball into the net and as he was turning to celebrate with the fans he saw a linesman’s flag up for off-side. Marriott at one end and Newell at the other saw shots go wide. Both teams made substitutions with Idris Kanu replacing Junior Morias for Posh and David Ball coming on for the Millers for Jamie Proctor. Three minutes later the hosts were back in front after some dithering between Semi Ajayi and O’Donnell Marriott lobbed the Millers’ ‘keeper to make it two-one. Jon Taylor came on for Ryan Williams and his delivery a couple of minutes later into the box found the head of Moore but Jonathan Bond did well to tip the ball round the post. A Taylor free-kick went behind after hitting a Posh defender with the following corner finding Frecklington who went for power more than accuracy and saw the ball sail well wide. Josh Emmanuel was then replaced by Anthony Forde while Andrew Hughes came on for Leonardo Da Silva and Chris Forrester replaced Marcus Maddison for the home side. In between Newell saw yellow presumably for something he said to the referee. Joe Mattock then saw yellow for a poor challenge on Kanu with Hughes making O’Donnell work to save from the resulting free-kick. With five minutes added time at the end the Millers had chances to equalise from corners but the only thing that happened was a Posh defender put his head down low, Michael Ihiekwe went for the ball and hit the player who went down, needed treatment and the Millers player saw yellow followed by Moore also getting yellow a minute later for handball.

Until the last fifteen minutes and some kamikaze defending there wasn’t a lot to chose between the Posh and the Millers yesterday afternoon at London Road. It was a good game with plenty of goalmouth action. Just the end result that was a disappointment for us Rotherham fans.