Date: 18th April 2017 at 2:36pm
Written by:

Rotherham United were thwarted of their first away win of the season by two former Millers on Easter Monday afternoon at the Madejski Stadium despite going in at half-time in the lead.

The Millers didn’t start badly with Danny Ward having the first shot of the game in the opening minutes from distance which was an easy save for Reading ‘keeper Ali Al Hasbi. Reading had a chance from a corner when it fell to Jordan Obita but he fired well wide before some good work from Will Vaulks saw him find Jon Taylor who made his way down the wing to find Carlton Morris with his shot being put behind. Taylor took the resulting corner and with the ball heading towards Tom Adeyemi Al Hasbi did well to claim. Vaulks was the first of the afternoon to see yellow when his challenge was late on Dan Williams. The Millers deservedly took the lead on nineteen minutes when Ward superbly crossed the ball into the box for Morris with Al Hasbi saving the header but there was Tom Adeyemi to poke the ball home for his sixth goal of the campaign. Unfortunately for the visitors the goal deemed to wake Reading up and only a super tackle by Joe Mattock on Yakou Meite minutes later stopped him getting a shot at goal followed moments later by a great save from Richard O’Donnell in the Millers goal from the same player. And not long after O’Donnell made an even better save flying along the floor to stop a hard shot from Meite and again when he tipped over a looping cross from Meite again. Just before half-time Reading looked like equalising when a corner found Liam Moore and his cross-cum-shot was nodded off the goalline by Joe Mattock.

The Millers came out for the second half in defensive mode and only good clearances/tackles from Darnell Fisher and Joe Mattock kept the Royals about before Roy Beerens swung at a good cross at the far post and missed to give the Millers defence time to clear. The Millers made their first substitution just before the hour mark replacing Carlton Morris with Joe Newell. Richard O’Donnell again made a super save from former Rotherham loanee John Swift before managing to palm a header from Yann Kermorgant over. Reading brought on another former Miller Lewis Grabban for Roy Beerens and with his first touch of the game he headed in a cross from Garath McCleary to make it one-one. Newell tried a shot which caused Ali Al Hasbi no problems before a cross from Chris Gunter at the other end found the head of Kermorgant who put the ball straight into the waiting arms of O’Donnell. Darnell Fisher had been struggling so had to be replaced by Jonson Clarke-Harris which sent Will Vaulks back to the right-back spot. After O’Donnell had been down for a while receiving treatment Reading finished the game off with ten minutes to go after some nice football between Danny Williams and Gunter John Swift was on hand to tap the ball home to make it two-one to the hosts. Paul Warne took off Tom Adeyemi and sent on an extra forward in Jerry Yates which was followed a minute later by Joe Mattock getting yellow for a poor challenge on Williams. O’Donnell was in the mix again when he saved from Grabban before the Millers went down the other end and Yates nearly got in after a less-than-perfect pass from Al Hasbi. As the board went up for four extra minutes Reading brought on Adrian Popa for Garath McClearly. O’Donnell had to make another save in stoppage time managing to palm a shot from Williams behind.

Again the Millers took the lead and again they were pegged back and lost. If you’re going to set yourself out to defend for the whole of the second half then you really need defenders and midfielder who can do that. Something to think about when Warney is looking to bring players in?