Date: 17th October 2017 at 9:45pm
Written by:

A disappointing evening saw three hundred unhappy Millers face a long journey back home from Wimbledon this evening after their team came back from one down to equalise only to shoot themselves in the foot and lose three-one at the Cherry Red Records Stadium

It was a slow start to the game with the first real chance coming on seven minutes for the hosts when Andy Barcham came close to finding Lyle Taylor who had a lot of room in front of goal but Joe Mattock did well to get the ball away to safety. But the Millers didn’t take heed of the warning and on fifteen minutes a lovely through ball from Barcham found Taylor who lifted the ball over Richard O’Donnell in the Millers goal, who looked a little slow at coming off his line, to give Wimbledon the lead. Six minutes later when perhaps O’Donnell should have come for a cross Rotherham’s top scorer Kieffer Moore had to do some clearing up at the back and head off the line. At the other end Moore sent Forde on his way getting himself into the box for the return ball which he headed just over. Minutes later Forde did well to get a cross in for David Ball who saw his shot at goal deflected for a corner which went out again for a second corner. Forde crossed the ball in towards Moore who saw his shot blocked for a third corner which again found Moore whose header was kicked clear. On the half hour mark Will Vaulks took aim from twenty-five yards out looking to try to recreate the goal he scored on Saturday but George Long, on loan from Sheffield United, did well to save at the near post. At the other end Michael Ihiekwe had to be aware to stop a cross from Harry Forrester reaching the lively Taylor. A Richie Towell free-kick caused problems in the box but came to nothing. In the final ten minutes of the half some good movement from the visitors ended when Moore and Long both went for a ball colliding with Darius Charles with referee Dean Whitestone giving the advantage to the hosts. Minutes later Ihiekwe rose highest to a cross from Towell but it was a comfortable catch for Long before some neat play between Moore and Forde saw the Millers striker miscontrol the ball before a cross from Towell found Ryan Williams who flipped the ball inside George Francomb but took the wrong decision and had a shot himself when he probably should have passed. With a minute to go Forde had a cross headed away for a throw-in before Towell saw a cross-come-shot blocked in time added on. In the dying seconds of the half Forrester was given too much room and shot from outside the box but O’Donnell did well to get down to it.

Five minutes into the second half and some nice work from Andy Barcham won a corner off Shaun Cummings which ended when the offside flag went up. Some super work from Anthony Forde saw him get passed his marker and when George Long got a touch to it it dropped to Ryan Williams who made a right hash of it putting it wide. A minute later again Forde found room this time having a shot himself only to see Long save before another super cross in by Forde went just over the head of Williams and to safety. Just before the hour mark the first Millers substitution saw Ryan Williams make way for Joe Newell. Richard O’Donnell kept the visitors in the game on sixty-three minutes after Will Vaulks had the ball taken off him by Harry Forrester the Millers’ ‘keeper had to backtrack to tip the shot from the Wimbledon midfielder away. At the other end a ball from Richie Towell to Kieffer Moore saw the Rotherham striker one-on-one with Darius Charles who did well to stop Moore scoring. Moments later Moore saw a half-shot go wide before a free-kick from Towell found Newell who in turn found Moore but the chance went begging. After a bit of Rotherham pressure the visitors got their reward on seventy-one minutes when a shot from Michael Ihiekwe was cleared by Charles but only as far as Newell who hit the ball first time from some twenty yards out and saw the ball fly into the back of the net to equalise. And it could have been two a minute later when Moore looked clear on goal but some good work from George Francomb stopped him getting a shot away. Barry Fuller had to be alert to stop Newell getting into a clear space with the following corner from Forde finding Joe Mattock with the hosts clearing. A long clearance by Long found Barcham who was hacked down by Forde taking one for the team. Wimbledon’s first substitute saw Egli Kaja being replaced by Nadjim Abdou. A foul on Forrester by David Ball saw him follow Forde into the book. With ten minutes to go the hosts should have gone back in front after some tricky work from Lyle Taylor he found Barcham who volleyed well over when it looked easier to put it in the net. More good work from Forde down the wing saw his cross into the box beat Long but couldn’t quite reach Towell before Towell did well at the other end to stop a shot from Forrester going in. But on eighty-five minutes the Millers were done on the break with Mattock and Richard Wood getting in each others way and the ball fell for Taylor who cut inside and made it two-one to the hosts. With three minutes to go the Millers were nearly level with only a good save by Long stopping a shot from Newell with the ball falling back at the feet of the Newell who saw his shot go over. Wimbledon put Paul Robinson on for Forrester while Rotherham put on Semi Ajayi and Jerry Yates for Joe Mattock and Shaun Cummings. In time added on a hopeful punt upfield by the hosts saw Wood let Taylor in who ran at goal seeing his first effort punched away by O’Donnell but when the ball rebounded back to him he put it in the net at the second attempt to give Wimbledon a three-one win.

Just when it sounded like we were getting back into the game and could have scored a couple of defensive errors knock us down again. Oh well, onwards and upwards – Oxford away next.