Date: 8th April 2017 at 5:05pm
Written by:

After twice going in front at the DW Stadium Rotherham United lost at the death this afternoon to a controversial free-kick which led to a fantastic strike.

In the opening minutes of the game Wigan thought they should have had a penalty after Michael Jacobs took the ball off Joe Newell and ran into the box going down after getting past Will Vaulks but referee Scott Duncan shook his head. Four minutes later the Millers really should have gone ahead when a mix up at the back saw Danny Ward get the better of Lactics ‘keeper Jakob Haugaard but the Millers striker missed when it looked easier to score. Vaulks was the next to have a go from distance but his effort went not only high but well wide. At the other end some poor defending from the visitors saw Max Power in space on the edge of the box but his shot went past the post. A super cross from Anthony Forde on the quarter of an hour mark found Joe Newell but he hit the ball straight into the arms of Haugaard. Sami Ajayi had to be on his mettle when Ryan Colclough got in the box with the Millers defender managing to back heel the ball to safety before Richard Wood did well to get to Jacob before he had a chance to shoot. The game fell a bit flat which probably wasn’t helped by the Referee stopping the game every time a player went down, which Darnell Fisher took exception to complaining first to the Fourth Official then Scott Duncan. A Forde free-kick was punched out by the Wigan ‘keeper which ended in a Vaulks long throw which first found Ajayi who headed on to Wood but his header was well saved. But a minute later the Millers went ahead after some lovely football from Fisher found Ward who kept his cool and slid the ball into the net. But the lead lasted less than five minutes when some poor defending saw Alex Gilbey find Colclough who put Gabriel Obertan through whose shot on the volley gave Lewis Price in the Millers’ goal no chance. And it was only some good defending from Wood minutes later that stopped Jacob making it two and in the final minute of the half a long throw found Obertan and his shot flew across goal before the Millers managed to clear. In time added on some poor football from the Millers ended with Fisher giving away a free-kick which was headed away by Ajayi before Obertan got passed Forde with the Millers winger managing to get back to put the ball out for a corner which came to nothing.

In the opening minutes of the second half Will Vaulks received treatment on the pitch after going down under a challenge from Michael Jacobs. Seven minutes in the first real action of the half saw Wigan make the first substitute of the afternoon fetching on Sam Morsy for Max Power. On fifty-seven minutes Semi Ajayi did well to break up a Wigan attack before a cross from Jamie Hanson was well claimed by Millers’ ‘keeper Lewis Price. Just after the hour mark the Millers re-took the lead when Anthony Forde hit a shot from the left which Wigan ‘keeper Jakob Haugaard made a right mess off and it went into the back of the net. Moments later it could have been more when some good work between Forde and Carlton Morris saw the striker brought down before Haugaard did well to get his fingertips to a Morris shot. But again the Millers couldn’t hold on and on the counter Wigan ran down the other end with Gabriel Obertan getting the ball to Alex Gilbey who had enough space to slide the ball into the net for the equaliser. It could have been worse for the Millers a few minutes later with Price having to make a good save from Gilbey. Richard Wood was replaced by Aimen Belaid before Darnell Fisher’s superb pass was brought down by Danny Ward on for the Millers striker to be thrawted by the legs of Haugaard. Nick Powell replaced Alex Gilbey for the hosts followed minutes later by Jon Taylor coming on for the Millers for Joe Newell. Taylor’s first touch saw the Millers get a throw and the ball eventually found Forde whose ball back to Taylor didn’t reach him and the Wigan defence cleared. The first yellow of the game saw Fisher booked for a late challenge on Powell. Obertan was replaced by Jack Byrne and a limping Forde went off with Jonson Clarke-Harris coming on in his place. With four minutes to go the hosts got a free kick taken by Hanson to Powell whose header had to be turned over by Price. At the other end Clarke-Harris did well to get to the byline but a linesman’s flag stopped him in his tracks. In the last minute of the half Wigan had the chance to win the game but Dan Burn put the ball over before a shot in time added on from Colclough went wide. Wigan should have won the game in the last minute of time added on when Morsy pushed Fisher aside and Vaulks blocked before Fisher got up and got Morsy’s second shot clear. Price and Powell had a coming together after Powell looked to have sent the Millers ‘keeper to the deck before Price got up and retaliated with both getting a yellow card. Mysteriously the referee gave the hosts a free-kick on the edge of the area which Powell slammed past Price into the back of the net to give Wigan a three-two win.