Date: 17th January 2009 at 8:16pm
Written by:

A goal in eighteen minutes gave the Millers all three points and helped them to move above Accrington on goal difference.

With neither side wanting to lose the game, both teams looked a bit nervy and it was Bournemouth who had the first real shot at goal, on six minutes, when Joe Partington shot way over from a few yards out. The next action was twelve minutes later when a long ball into the visitors goal area was cleared to the edge of the area. It fell to Mark Hudson whose stunning volley sailed past David Button and into the back of the net. The Millers then took charge of the game and should have had another when Button dropped a cross and Ian Sharps short pass found Micky Cummins but his shot would have looked more at home at Clifton Lane as it sailed over the cross bar. Hudson and Jason Taylor were the next pair guilty of frustrating the Millers fans as their shots cleared the cross bar by some clear inches. If Button had looked jittery on his debut for the Cherries, he came into his own on the stroke of half-time when Hudson’s corner found Nick Fenton who’s header looked certain to go in the net until Button sprang to life and brought of a great save.

Five minutes into the second half, David Stockdale, made his first save of the day when Cherries, sub, Joel Ward had his header saved at the back post. Both teams huffed and puffed a bit more before the visitors were dealt a blow on the sixty-third minute, when Danny Hollands received his second yellow card for bundling over Jamie Green. Minutes later, the Millers had a bit of a blow themselves when new boy, Jason Taylor, had to go off with an injury. Jamie Green could have doubled the score in the final minutes of the game when he received the ball from Hudson but his shot rattled the crossbar and went over. When the board went up for four minutes of overtime, Bournemouth threw caution to the wind and everyone went forwards, even Button. Mark Molesley had just the ‘keeper to beat but his feeble shot went just wide. Alan Connell thought he’d equalised only to see the flag go up for off-side and with the Millers hanging on for grim death, the departing Stockdale made a finger tip save to deny Jason Pearce.

I think every Millers fan breathed a sigh of relief when the ref blew the final whistle. But, we shouldn’t have really been in that position had half of the shots that went just over or just wide gone in.

Just a word about David Stockdale – he’s done a brilliant job while he’s been with the Millers and I’d like to wish him well in his career.