Date: 26th October 2011 at 9:46am
Written by:

Rotherham United found themselves three-nil down in the first thirty-five minutes of the game against Morecambe but managed to bounce back to get a point after a superb second half performance.

The visitors were still paddling in the sea when Morecambe took the lead on three minutes. Garry Hunter whipped in a cross from the left which found Gary McDonald who raced in and put the ball past Andy Warrington into the back of the net. Minutes later Lawrence Wilson had a shot blocked by Alex Revell but the ball fell to Danny Carlton and his shot forced Warrington into making a good save. Rotherham seemed to wake up a bit then with Gareth Evans going on a solo run his shot testing Barry Roche in the Shrimps goal from twenty yards out and minutes later Danny Schofield drilled a shot just wide. But, just before the half-hour mark Lewis Alessandra and Andy Warrington came together just inside the penalty area with the Millers` ‘keeper being adjudged to have fouled the striker and Wilson scored the resulting penalty. Less than ten minutes later former Doncaster Rovers midfielder, Jason Price, burst through into the area, tangling with Jon Harley on the way. While the referee first looked as if he was going to let play carry on, the linesman (who got very few decisions right all night) put his flag across his chest. A few minutes discussion took place with Harley, backed by the Millers fans, insisting he got the ball before a second penalty was awarded. Wilson stepped up once again, putting the ball in exactly the same place as the first one. Everyone of the two hundred and eighty-seven travelling supporters were now fearing the worst but just minutes later the third penalty of the evening was awarded as Revell was brought down by Hunter and Lewis Grabban stepped up to get his eighth goal of the season. And, in the final minutes of the half, there could have been another two goals, when Revell had the ball nicked from his toe as he was shaping to shoot at goal and, at the other end, former Miller, Nick Fenton, had a header saved by Warrington.

A few choice words at half time from Andy Scott saw the Millers players out three or four minutes before the home side to start the second half. Chris Holroyd, on for Grabban, received a pass from Jason Taylor and fired just over on the turn and then, after a fine solo run the twenty-five year old forced Barry Roche into a fine save. Johnny Mullins also had a chance to score from a Schofield corner but his header was off the mark. As the Millers piled on the pressure Danny Harrison cut out a cross by Hunter and got the ball to Evans whose sweet left foot strike sailed into the back of the net past the reach of Roche. Six minutes later Harrison crossed the ball in to the middle and new daddy Alex Revell got his boot to it leaving Roche stranded. Cue the rocking baby celebrations from Revell in front of the joyous Millers fans. And it could have been much better for the visitors when Revell headed just over and only a good tackle from Stuart Drummond prevented Jason Taylor letting fly while Roche had to be alert to save from Holroyd and Schofield. Former Miller, Kevin Ellison, had been introduced in place of Price on seventy minutes and he nearly had the last laugh in the final minute when he saw Warrington off his line and shot in from the left but saw the ball go just over the bar.

Well from us all fearing the worst at half-time, what a fantastic comeback by the Millers last night. Whatever you said to them in the dressing room at half-time, Andy Scott, please say it BEFORE the game on Saturday please!