Date: 30th April 2011 at 5:12pm
Written by:

Rotherham United went into this game at the Recreation Ground knowing that, a win, would give them a slight chance of getting in the play-offs. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen and Andy Scott still has to see his first win as Manager.

The game began with the home side bombarding the Millers goal from kick-off and getting two corners in the opening two minutes which Tom Newey and Tom Pope did well to block on the line. Unfortunately for the Millers, on five minutes, Anthony Charles nipped in at the left and hit the ball hard, it hit the post and went across the goal line and settled into the right hand side of the net. Within five minutes the Shots were two up, when the Millers defence left Jamie Annerson, in the Millers net, was left dreadfully exposed and had no chance when a back pass from Nick Fenton was short and Peter Vincenti intercepted the ball, went round Annerson and slotted it into an open net. The first real pressure from the Millers came on twenty-five minutes Adam Le Fondre did well down the left and got the ball to Liam Henderson, but the youngsters header went just wide. At the other end, Annerson made a good save from Danny Hylton and on the break, Le Fondre pulled wide and got behind the Shots defence to get the ball to Mark Bradley but his shot seemed to take a bobble and went just wide. The Millers did manage to pull one back just after the half-hour mark when, after some more good work from Le Fondre, he rounded the advancing Jamie Young and let fly and it went into the net, although Tom Pope might have got a toe to it, Le Fondre will probably claim it. On thirty-seven minutes the Millers could have equalised when Danny Harrison had a shot at goal, that was blocked but then fell to Pope who also had a shot which was also blocked and was put away to safety. Just before half-time a header from Darren Jones looked like it was heading into the net but Annerson flung himself across the goal and made a great reaction save to tip the ball round the post. Then, with the referee about to blow for the end of the half, Jermaine McGlashan sent a well delivered ball which missed Hylton but Vincenti, who was in front of goal, connected with it but, somehow, managed to put it into the side netting.

The Millers started the brighter in the second half and in the opening minutes, Le Fondre found a yard of space and his shot was well saved by Young. At the other end, Ryan Cresswell had to be strong and managed to clear off the line under his own crossbar and a couple of minutes later, Dale Tonge did well to clear off the line. Five minutes into the half, Henderson did well to get the ball to Jason Taylor and the midfielder brought off an acrobatic save from Young. On the fifty-fifth minute Annerson punted the ball up field which caused problems in the home sides midfield and Le Fondre was quick to claim the ball, worked his way into the area and lobbed Young to get the Millers equaliser. Five minutes later, Hylton had a shot at goal, but it didn’t bother Annerson. On the hour mark, Tim Sills, on for Clayton Fortune, had a shot blocked and, as Vincenti slid to try and get on the end of it, he caught the advancing Annerson and was penalised by referee Evans. On seventy-three minutes, Le Fondre got the ball on his right and his thunderbolt shot went across goal with the ‘keeper beaten and a minute later, Le Fondre had another shot which was saved by Young. There was more good work from Le Fondre in the last five minutes of the game when he cut inside past Charles but his ball in couldn’t find Pope in the area and was put away to safety. In time added on the home side made a final push up field and Luke Guttridge found himself in space on the edge of the area but his shot was blocked by a Millers defender.

With other scores going for them this afternoon a win would have given the Millers all to play for next Saturday at Don Valley against Torquay, but, as it is, a draw wasn’t enough and Andy Scott’s team will start next season, once again, in League Two.