Date: 9th December 2017 at 8:40pm
Written by:

Rotherham United came back from a goal down to beat Blackpool two-one at Bloomfield Road this afternoon to give the Millers their first win in eight games.

There’s no dressing this up it was a dire first half and although Jonson Clarke-Harris, who was making his first league start of the campaign, had a couple of shots they were well wide of goal. The substitution of the game came on ten minutes when Kyle Vassell limped off to be replaced by Nathan Delfouneso. With fifteen minutes on the clock Michael Ihiekwe did well to clear a cross in from Jay Spearing before Ryan Williams stopped Kelvin Mellor getting a clear shot at goal. The visitors didn’t learn from this and when Viv Solomon-Otabor sent a shot across goal on twenty-one minutes it fell to Mellor on the edge of the area and while he really should have been closed down he let fly a superb shot into the back of the net. And it could have been two just minutes later when the Millers defence allowed Andy Taylor to send a cross in to the waiting Sean Longstaff who should have done better from close range. The first booking of the afternoon went to Rotherham’s Richard Wood for a foul on Delfouneso (although it was no worse a foul than the one early in the game by Spearing who sent David Ball into the advertising boards round the ground). A cross in from Jimmy Ryan was well claimed by Millers’ ‘keeper Marek Rodak before the next name in the referee’s book was Ihiekwe for a poor foul on Colin Daniel. With the half going into time added on the visitors had a small shout for a hand ball in the area but Mr Bankes (a change to the advertised ref) shook his head.

Paul Warne’s side started the second half with a double substitution seeing Anthony Forde on for Jonson Clarke-Harris and Jerry Yates replace Michael Ihiekwe. And Rotherham came out much brighter with Ryan Williams back in his familiar roll flying down the wing got the ball into the box where Yates saw his shot blocked. At the other end Kelvin Mellor, finding himself in plenty of space again, tried the same shot that got the goal in the first half but this time he sent it well wide. Ball, Richie Towell and Williams all saw shots blocked before Marek Rodak saved a good strike from Viv Solomon-Otabor. Colin Daniel saw yellow for the hosts after hacking down Ball. Yates did well to get the ball when Blackpool made a mistake and flew into the box but his shot let him down and went wide before a Forde corner found the head of skipper for the day Richard Wood who saw his header come back off the crossbar to safety. With twenty minutes to go Solomon-Otabor was left alone as he ran the length of the pitch before he set-up Nathan Delfouneso in the box but he curled his shot over. With thirteen minutes to go Ball gave the Millers fans something to cheer about when a long throw from Will Vaulks wasn’t dealt with by the Blackpool defenders and fell to the Millers striker who smashed it home from close range making it one-one. Callum Cooke replaced Sean Longstaff for the hosts followed by Vaulks being booked. As the Millers were getting on top in the game Joe Mattock went down and limped off to be replaced by Shaun Cummings. Less than a minute later Rotherham took the lead after a Forde corner went into the box and Ball made a run at the near post and headed in to send the travelling nine hundred or so Millers wild and home happy.

Another game of two halves from the Millers. The first half was one of the worst I’ve seen but they came out like a different side in the second half – probably helped by players not playing out of position as they had been for the first forty-five minutes. Three points, deserved or not, sees the Millers jump up to ninth tonight.