Match Reports

Millers Can’t Find Net At Burton

Image for Millers Can’t Find Net At Burton

Burton Albion 2 Rotherham United 0
Borthwick-Jackson (3)
Brayford (69)

Rotherham United lost away at Burton Albion this evening in a game that they never seemed to get a hold-off.

The game didn’t start how the Millers would have hoped when on just three minutes a mix up in the Rotherham defence saw a long throw find Cameron Borthwick-Jackson who slotted home from close range. Rotherham went straight up the other end from the re-start winning a corner which came to nothing before Jordi Osei-Tutu set up Ben Wiles who saw his shot blocked as far as Ollie Rathbone who saw his shot land on the top of the net. A couple of minutes later a short corner went to Jamie Lindsay who curled the ball in with Matej Kovar in the Burton goal hold onto it. Another corner from Dan Barlaser saw Kovar thump it out as far as Rarmani Edmonds-Green who saw his shot go over before a cross into the box from Edmonds-Green saw Wiles come so close to getting his head on it. At the other end some nice football from the hosts saw a cross from Harry Chapman find Oumer Niasse with Millers’ ‘keeper Viktor Johansson fetching off a good save. And it was the same pair linking up a few minutes later with Edmonds-Green making a great challenge to stop Chapman getting through on goal. After going down twice Jordi Osei-Tutu was substituted for Shane Ferguson who was in action a minute later when his cross went to the feet of Michael Smith who brought off a good save from Kovar. Another change for the visitors saw Freddie Ladapo on for Dan Baralser. Michael Ihiekwe gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box which Joe Powell took straight into the waiting arms of Johansson. The first yellow of the night went to William Kokolo whose only way to stop Chieo Ogbene was to fetch him down. In time added on in the first half Rathbone won a free-kick which was blocked but fell to Ladapo whose shot was also blocked.

The Millers suffered another blow at half-time with substitute Shane Fergsuon getting an injury and having to be replaced by Richard Wood. The hosts caused problems again from a Thomas Hamer long throw in the opening minutes of the half and although it was headed away by Michael Ihikewe the fall fell to William Kokolo on the edge of the box who saw his shot go inches wide. Wood was the first Miller to see yellow when he fouled Oumer Niasse as he sent the ball to Harry Chapman who in turn brought off a good save from Viktor Johansson. The visitors had a number of corners which came to nothing before Albion’s first change saw Harry Chapman limp off to be replaced by Christian Saydee. Ladapo did well to get past his marker and send a nice ball in for Ben Wiles who sent a ball meant for Michael Smith but was much too ahead of the Millers’ striker. At the other end Saydee sent in a super cross for Niasse who looked ready to head home but didn’t count on Rarmani Edmonds-Green getting there to stop him. Ollie Rathbone was booked for a foul on Kokolo and the resulting Joe Powell free-kick was headed in by John Brayford past the outstretched hand of Johansson. Matej Kovar was on hand minutes later to get to a poor header from Ladapo before Saydee broke free finding Powell who put the ball just wide. After some good work from Smith a cross into the box from Chieo Ogbene was cleared as far as Rathbone who hit the ball over the crossbar. Rotherham came close to scoring on seventy-eight minutes after Rathbone found Smith whose cross to the back post was met by a diving header from Wiles straight into the arms of Kovar With four minutes before the end Conor Shaughnessy came on for Joe Powell. Minutes later Ogbene got the ball back in his own half and drove forward having a shot which brought a good save out of Kovar before some nice work from Edmonds-Green found Wiles who saw his shot inside the box blocked. In time added on a cross from Wiles found Ladapo who saw his shot come off the upright and go to safety before Ihiekwe had a header then a shot blocked followed by the Burton defence clearing a shot from Wood. In the final seconds of the game Burton brought on Louis Moult for Oumar Niasse.

I think the Millers let at least a point go begging this evening. Luckily, MK Dons faired little better away at Oxford and Rotherham go into next weekend still in second spot – but will we still be there after Saturday’s game?

Attendance 3,537

Referee- Tom Reeves

Share this article


  • Stuart webster says:

    So According to warne Burton scoring after 3 mins killed us didn’t matter that there was another 87mins of the game left then warne , excruciating listening to him fumble for excuses and downright embarrassing we could have played until the start of next season and not score , and the top award for biggest bullshit manager goes to yep calamity warne .

    • Caz Neale (Herringthorpe) says:

      Have to say you’d think an early goal would have spurred us on to get straight back into the game – although, to be fair, we did try that but couldn’t do it. As you say Stuart it felt we could have been playing until midnight and the ball wouldn’t have gone in.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.