Date: 27th January 2010 at 12:01am
Written by:

Ronnie Moore will be pleased he’s finally laid his own personal ‘ghost’ against Chesterfield as Tom Pope scored in the final minute of the game to give Rotherham a deserved victory over the Spirites.

Both teams seemed to lack something in the final third during the first half and it was Chesterfield who had the first shot of the half on five minutes when Dominic Green walked past a static Marc Joseph and got the ball to ex Miller loanee, Barry Conlon. Conlon sent a curling shot from some twenty yards out but it went way past the post. At the other end Chestefield ‘keeper, Tommy Lee, managed to block a shot from Nicky Law after Tom Pope had held the ball up well. Jack Lester had a shot at the Millers goal which went over the bar as Warrington came and slipped and a minute later, Warrington brought off a good save from the same player. Kevin Ellison should have opened the scoring ten minutes from the interval when he recieved a ball from Mickey Cummins but his shot not only cleared the bar but cleared the stand as well. The final kick of the first half went to Gary Roberts but was a feeble effort that eventually went out for a throw-in.

Gavin Gunning failed to shake of an injury and was replaced by Dale Tonge for the start of the second half and it was the visitors that had the first shot at goal when Roberts took a free kick that was saved by Lee in the opening minute. The game got a bit scrappy after that and, after numerous fouls on Adam Le Fondre, Roberts fouled Derek Niven and was promptly booked. Lee foiled a shot from Law and Ellison had a shot that he sliced wide. At the other end, Lester had a clear shot at goal but put it well over the bar. On sixty-five minutes, a poor header down from Aaron Downes only went as far as Le Fondre and as every Miller in the stand stood, expecting to see the ball hit the back of the net, the top scorer hit his shot straight at the out rushing Lee who managed to stop it with his legs. Eight minutes later, Andy Warrington made a great save from Downes to tip the ball over the bar. But in the final minute of the game, Pope broke the deadlock and got his first goal since the first month of the season. Pablo Mills, who had worked hard all game, drilled the ball in low. Pope collected, turned on the edge of the box and shot the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net. The striker ran towards the Millers fans behind the goal, waving his shirt in the air and was then booked for his trouble.

A first win for Ronnie Moore at Saltergate, in the last ever game the Millers will play there. There could, and should, have been more Millers goals but all that really matters is that three points are coming back with the Rotherham team. It was nice to see, as the final whistle went, all the Millers players surrounding Pope and congratulating him on his goal.