Date: 23rd July 2014 at 10:51pm
Written by:

Rotherham United fans got their first chance to see most of the new boys this evening when they watched the Millers first pre-season friendly at the New York Stadium against Nottingham Forest.

The hosts started well and when Alex Revell took off at speed towards goal he was pulled down on the edge of the area but the following free-kick from Ben Pringle didn`t get past the Forest wall. On six minutes a cross from Jamie Paterson was well held by Millers ‘keeper Adam Collin while at the other end Frazer Richardson put in a superb cross into the box which Jordan Bowery just failed to connect with and minutes later Karl Darlow, the visitors goalie, did well when he got down well and headed the ball away just as Bowery was going to get a shot in on goal. Paterson then saw a shot cleared but only as far as Greg Halford but he saw his shot go just over the bar. On the half-hour mark Michael Tidser brings off a good save from Darlow while a few minutes later the Scottish midfielder got another chance only to see his shot deflected wide and from the corner Revell headed the ball just past the post. With five minutes to go Mat Sadler got forward and put a beautiful ball in for Revell who climbed above everyone else but saw his header hit the bar and rebound to safety, although a linesman`s flag would have ruled the goal out anyway.

With the Millers making a number of changes for the start of the second half the majority of the three thousand six hundred fans were trying to work out who was on for who. The first action was for the Millers after Alex Revell played a ball for Kieran Agard who in turn left it for Ryan Hall, on for Bowery, but with Darlow beaten he saw the ball go just past the post. Five minutes in Kari Arnason, on for Craig Morgan, did well to stop Andy Reid getting a shot away and Arnason got forward a few minutes later but didn`t hit the ball cleanly and it fell to a visiting defender. Revell had a good chance to open the scoring just after the hour mark after some good work by Conor Newton, on for Paul Green, but his header went agonisingly wide. But a minute later the Millers were ahead after Ben Pringle had got in between two defenders and put a lovely ball through to Agard who invited Darlow to come towards him then slipped the ball into the net. Just after the goal the Millers put on trialist and former Forest player Jonathan Greening. Forest get more into the game with Radoslaw Madjewski putting the ball wide and Stephen McLaughlin picking the ball up inside the area saw his shot rattle the crossbar and go out for a goal kick. With ten minutes to go the Millers get a free-kick which Hall takes and has Darlow scurrying across his area while a shot from Greening was deflected wide. At the other end the travelling seven hundred and seventy-seven fans were up and clapping thinking their side had equalised after Lars Veldwijk latched onto a cross from Dan Harding but the Dutchman`s header hit the underside of the bar and bobbled across the goal line and I think we are all still wondering how it didn`t go in. In time added on Lee Frecklington, on for Tidser, released Newton who beat the visiting defender but couldn`t quite control the ball for a shot at goal.

It was a good work out for the two teams tonight (well four teams with all the subs Steve Evans and Stuart Pearce made) with some of the new boys proving they have fit in to the team well.

Collin (Loach 46)
Richardson (Brindley 46)
Wood (Rowe 43, Broadfoot 46)
Morgan (Arnason 46)
Sadler (Skarz 46)
Agard (Walker 88)
Tidser (Frecklington 46)
Green (Newton 46)
Pringle (Greening 66)
Revell (Rose 80)
Bowery (Hall 46)

Unused subs – Thompson.

Hunt (Vaughan 60)
Mancienne (Collins 88)
Halford (Laing 60)
Osborn (Walker 81)
Mackie (McLaughlin 60)
Reid (Majewski 60)
Paterson (Silva 46)
Cox (Veldwijk 81)