Date: 16th September 2017 at 7:24pm
Written by:

Rotherham United’s three-match unbeaten run came to an end this afternoon at Valley Parade in a game that saw Bradford City climb into the top three in League One.

The Millers never really got going in the first half although if Ryan Williams cross in the opening minutes had reached Kieffer Moore it might have been a different story. An early free-kick for the Millers saw Jon Taylor line up to take it but although he got it underneath the City wall Colin Doyle in the Bantams goal didn’t have to do much to save it. Joe Mattock and Richie Towell linked up well but Towell’s effort was off target before Millers’ ‘keeper Marek Rodak did well to come out of his goal to save at the feet of Dominic Poleon whicle an Adam Chicksen cross into the box was headed off the line by Mattock. The first caution of the game went to Romain Vincelot for a nasty challenge on Lee Frecklington but Towell’s free-kick was again off target. The only goal of the game came on twenty-one minutes when Vincelot was allowed way too much room to head a Tony McMahon cross home from five yards out. Five minutes later the Millers should have made it one-one when Taylor saw a good effort at goal blocked by Doyle before it came out to him again only for his second effort to be cleared off the line by Matt Kilgallon. A minute later Richard Wood found himself in the box and beat Doyle to the ball but couldn’t quite get it over the line. The Millers defender then saw yellow for a poor foul on Poleon. Kieffer Moore tried his luck with the ball going out for a corner and although there were plenty of white and purple shirts in the box no one could get it over the line. Doyle did well to get to a cross from Will Vaulks before Michael Ihiekwe with the next yellow going to Alex Gilliead for pulling back Mattock. Some nice work from Rodak stopped the hosts going two-up when he did well to get down to stop Poleon in the closing minute of the half.

The second half began just as the rain started to come down and a superb challenge from Michael Ihiekwe stopped Charlie Wyke getting a chance of a shot. A cross from Ryan Williams saw the ball end up in the arms of Colin Doyle from a deflection followed by some more good work from Williams who got the ball to Richie Towell whose shot towards goal came off Kieffer Moore and fell into the lucky arms of Doyle again. Joe Mattock saw yellow for pulling Alex Gilliead back before Doyle saved a shot from Jon Taylor. Dominic Poleon was replaced by Omari Patrick with the Millers taking off Ryan Williams for Joe Newell. Towell tried his luck from some thirty yards out which Doyle could only parry as far as Lee Frecklington but Nathaniel Knight-Percival got his body in the way putting the ball out for a corner which came to nothing. Even though the Millers were having the majority of the play it was Bradford who nearly scored when some good play between Wyke and former Miller Nicky Law saw the latter charge in at goal with some neat defending between Michael Ihiekwe and Marek Rodak stopped him before Will Vaulks hoisted the ball away. Jon Taylor made way for Anthony Forde for the visitors with a good run from Forde saw Newell get the ball towards him only for Adam Chicksen to get in the way. Followed by Rodak doing well to get above bodies in the box to claim a header from Knight-Percival at the other end. The Millers final substitute of the afternoon saw Jonson Clarke-Harris replace Richie Towell before City take off Nicky Law bringing on Adam Thompson. Frecklington, Moore and Clarke-Harris all had chances but couldn’t capitalise on them before Moore got a soft yellow for arguing when Forde was chopped down by Kilgallon with the following Newell free-kick punched away by Doyle as far as Mattock who heads it back into the ‘keepers arms. Kilgallon was also booked for his challenge on Forde and was soon followed into the book by Doyle for time wasting. As the board went up for a further five minutes Clarke-Harris did well to keep the ball in but sent it over only for Doyle to claim it. As the Millers looked like they were going home with nothing the afternoon got worse when Mattock received a second yellow for pulling down Gilliead.

It was a better second half for Rotherham this afternoon though the midfield did go missing at times allowing City to get the ball quickly down the pitch. We had chances but didn’t take them – which sounds quite familiar.

Ahh well, onwards and upwards.