Date: 27th August 2019 at 9:35am
Written by:

Rotherham United and neighbours Sheffield Wednesday meet in the second round of the Carabao Cup for what will be the sixth time in this competition.

The last time the pair met in this competition when it was called the Capital One Cup was in August 2013 at the New York Stadium when kick-off had to be delayed due to crowd congestion. Ben Pringle got on the end of a Kari Arnason long throw and put the Millers in front on ten minutes with a low Rhys McCabe free-kick getting an equaliser thirteen minutes later. On thirty-eight minutes another Arnason long throw found Michael O’Connor who knocked the ball down for Lee Frecklington who made it two-one to the hosts from some twenty yards out. In the final ten minutes of the game the visitors went down to ten men after Jermaine Johnson, who came off the subs bench twenty minutes earlier, appeared to headbutt Pringle and referee Darren Drysdale showed him a straight red.

In 2008 the teams met at Hillsborough when it was under the guise of the Carling Cup. Twice the Owls went in front (Etienne Esajas both times) and twice the Millers pulled it back (Alex Rhodes and Reuben Reid). It was one-one at ninety minutes and Esajas made it two-one in time added on, a minute after Marc Joseph saw red after fetching Leon Clarke down. Two minutes later a Mark Hudson shot came back off the crossbar and in the scramble that followed Reid pounced and slammed the ball over the line. And so to penalties – The Owls won the toss and elected to take penalties in front of the Kop.
Skipper, Pablo Mills, stepped up for the Millers to slot the ball past Grant.
Clarke got the Owls equaliser.
Danny Harrison stepped up to make it 2-1 to the visitors.
Esajas, on a hat-trick, rushed his shot and hit the outside of the post.
Mark Hudson then made it 3-1 to the Millers.
The Owls James O’Conner easily scored to make it 3-2.
Andy Todd then made it 4-2 to the Millers.
Sean McAllister scored to keep the Owls in it.
Up stepped Reuben Reid to send the Millers into the next round of the cup and send the Millers fans wild.

Teams That Night

Smith (Lekaj)
Watson (Boden)
Burton (McAllister)
Subs not used – O’Donnell, McMenamin, Lunt

Fenton (Todd)
Rhodes (Green)
Taylor (Yates)
Subs not used – Cann, Tonge, Holmes, Cummins

The time before was in August 2007 at Millmoor. Danny Harrison opened the scoring for the Millers on thirty-four minutes but Glenn Whelan equalised on the stroke of half-time much against run of play. In the second half the Owls showed what the difference between the Championship and League Two was and Andy Warrington, in the Millers’ goal, was kept very busy. The half was just four minutes old when former Miller Deon Burton put the visitors in front and five minutes later Wade Small made it three-one.

The Millers and Owls have met twice before in the League Cup. In 1971 at Millmoor the Owls won two-nil in the first round and again at Millmoor in Round Two in 1966/7 when a goal from Billy Casper gave the Millers a one-nil win.

League Cup Stats – Millers v Owls
Capital One Cup – 06.08.2013 Rotherham United 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday
Carling Cup – 12.08.2008 Sheffield Wednesday 2-2 Rotherham United*
Carling Cup – 16.08.2007 Rotherham United 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday
League Cup – 30.01.1972 Rotherham United 0-2 Sheffield Wednesday
League Cup – 30.01.1967 Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 Rotherham United
*Millers won on penalties

Click for the forum

Your Comment