Date: 25th February 2017 at 5:02pm
Written by:

Rotherham United came close to getting their second point on the road of the season this afternoon at Griffin Park but two goals in time added on saw another away defeat.

A warm-up finger injury saw Lewis Price, just back from injury himself, replace Richard O’Donnell in goal for the Millers before the game.

The hosts started the stronger and Lewis Price had to be alert in the opening minute to put a shot from Nico Yennaris behind with Semi Ajayi heading the resulting corner away. The Bees got a free-kick which Ryan Woods put in towards Andreas Bjelland but the Millers cleared before Konstantin Kerschbaumer got a nice ball from Rico Henry but his shot was well blocked. With less than ten minutes gone Aimen Belaid made a brilliant challenge on Jota to stop him in his tracks. The visitors first corner came off Henry after fit again Danny Ward tried his luck with Joe Newell’s cross in being put out for a throw in. Will Vaulks’ long throw-in went across goal towards Jon Taylor whose shot was put behind for a corner which was cleared by Jota. On thirteen minutes Florian Jozefzoon managed to get to the ball pulling it back for Jota who put the ball into the far corner of the net to give the hosts the lead. Jon Taylor was the first to see yellow for a foul on Yennaris. The Millers had a chance on nineteen minutes when a nice floated ball from Richie Smallwood into the area saw the Bees’ ‘keeper David Bentley get to it before Tom Adeyemi. Minutes later Woods gave the ball away to Vaulks who sent Adeyemi on his way and the Cardiff loanee sent a lovely cross into Ward but his shot was blocked by John Egan before some good work down the wing from Taylor saw him get the ball to Vaulks who tried his luck from twenty-five yards out only to see the ball go just over the crossbar. The Bees came close to doubling their lead on twenty-five minutes when a free-kick from Jota saw Egan head back to Kerschbaumer who saw his shot take a wicked deflection off Bjelland sending the ball wide. A cross from Florian Jozefzoon was turned against his own post by Belaid before Price made a superb save from the corner only to hear the whistle go for a foul to the Millers. Yennaris saw a shot at goal easily saved by Price before the Brentford player saw yellow for a challenge on Adeyemi with Brentford clearing the resulting free-kick at the second time of asking. At the other end Jozefzoon pushed Stephen Kelly aside only to see his cross-cum-shot well headed away by Ben Purrington before more super work from Taylor saw his cross find Ward but the Millers striker put it wide. The home side finished the half strongly with a couple of corners which, luckily for the Millers, came to nothing.

The Millers had the first chance of the second half after Semi Ajayi sent Danny Ward on his way with David Bentley getting there to clear with the ball coming back into the area but it was just a little too high for Tom Adeyemi to get his head on. More pressure from the visitors saw a bit of hesitation between Bentley and Bjelland with the latter managing to clear. More good work from Jon Taylor saw him get the ball into the area but John Egan got there before Ward to put behind and from the following corner a header from Ajayi was easy for Bentley. At the other end a good shot from Konstantin Kerschbaumer was well held by Lewis Price before a free-kick fell to Woods who fired high over the crossbar. On the hour mark the Millers made their first substitution with Anthony Forde coming on for Joe Newell. On sixty-five minutes only a terrific save from David Bentley stopped Ward equalising after the Millers striker got a super pass from Ajayi. But two minutes later a fantastic ball in from Forde found Aimen Belaid who bravely headed the ball into the net for the equaliser but was clattered in the process having to go off for treatment. And the visitors came near to going in front from a Forde corner when Ward’s header was deflected out for a second corner which saw Belaid come close his and the Millers second. Brentford’s first substitution saw Florian Jozefzoon replaced by Sergi Canos. Again the Millers should have gone in front when Bentley slipped and Jon Taylor had an open net to shoot at but hit the ball into the ground and it bounced over the crossbar. A second substitution for the hosts saw Justin Shaibu on for Kerschbaumer and a minute later, against run of play, a cross from Ryan Woods was turned home by Nico Yennaris to re-take the lead for the hosts. And it could have been three when Canos curled a shot in from the edge of the area only for Price to bring off a good save. In the final ten minutes the Millers brought on Joe Mattock for Belaid and a few minutes later a chance for the Millers went begging when a volley from twenty yards out from Will Vaulks went into the fans behind the goals. As the Millers got a free-kick Richie Smallwood made way for Dexter Blackstock with the set-piece going out for a corner. With three minutes to go the Millers equalised when a screamer from Forde flew into the back of the net from twenty-five yards out. The visitors were going for the win with Ward making Woods put the ball out for a throw before the hosts went down the other end forcing Price to make a good save from Romaine Sawyers, But disaster struck for the Millers in injury time when a shot from Shaibu was handled in the area by Ajayi and Jota made it three-two from the resulting penalty. Rotherham went straight down the other end and got a free-kick which was cleared down field when Price twice saved from Canos but Jota was there to roll the ball into the net to get his hat-trick and a fourth for the home side.

Cruel. The Millers did well to twice draw level and didn’t give up.

But we still await our first away win of the season.