Date: 10th October 2009 at 6:36pm
Written by:

Rotherham United dropped a point at Don Valley this afternoon to a goal in the final minute of the game.

The Millers started the game with width and pace and seemed set to take Hereford to the cleaners. Inside the first minute only a tackle by Kenny Lunt on Adam Le Fondre stopped the Millers’ top goal scorer adding to his total followed minutes later by a good corner that found Ian Sharps who couldn’t quite head the ball into the net. But Le Fondre did add to his tally on the eleventh minute when some great work by the busy Kevin Ellison found the end of Le Fondre’s boot for him to poke it into the goal for his tenth goal of the season. The Millers then had numerous chances to get the ball into the net. Pablo Mills had a shot that grazed the post, Ellison had a shot that went just wide, Le Fondre nodded just over after picking up a good pass from Nicky Law, Tom Pope missed a chance from an Ellison corner and Nick Fenton came within inches when he stuck out a leg to meet an Ellison free-kick but the ball hit the bar. The visitors only real chance came on thirty-five minutes when James Walker shot from the edge of the area but Andy Warrington got his finger tips to it to put it over the bar.

Le Fondre failed to get to a ball in the opening minutes of the second half before Ryan Valentine cleared and at the other end, Sharps did well to block an effort from Marc Pugh. Andy Warrington then had to save from Mathieu Mansett as the visitors got into their stride and started to dominate the game. Edrissa Sonko, on for Gwynne, mounted attack after attack and King had a shot that went high from the edge of the area. The Millers had an appeal for a penalty turned down when it looked to everyone, except referee Swarbrick, as if a Hereford defender had pulled Mills down in the area. Mills also got a good ball in to Le Fondre but he headed the ball over. With it looking like the Millers had managed to hold on to the death for all three points they failed to clear as the ball ricocheted this way and that before Lunt managed to find McCallum, who was on for Pugh, and he shot into the back of the net from twelve yards out.

The frustration of the Rotherham fans was evident as the final whistle blew and boo’s rang out around Don Valley.