Date: 12th January 2011 at 12:20am
Written by:

Rotherham United got out of jail this evening at Edgeley Park with two goals in the final five minutes of the game to snatch a point against a lively Stockport.

The evening began with a minutes silence for Macclesfield player Richard Butcher who suddenly and sadly died on Sunday morning.

Although County had a couple of half-hearted attempts on goal in the opening minutes from Anthony Elding and Greg Tansey the first real chance of the game fell to the visitors on five minutes when a Newey corner found the head of Ryan Taylor but his headed effort went wide of the goal and two minutes later Adam Le Fondre had a shot from deep inside the area that went over. Andy Warrington made his first save on fifteen minutes from a Stephen Husband effort and at the other end a Ryan Taylor shot was blocked by Mansour Assoumani. Ryan Taylor and Kevin Ellison had shots that went harmlessly over the bar before an Elding shot was well saved by Warrington. The game suddenly burst into life just after the half hour mark when Paul Turnbull put Ishmel Demontagnac through and the Blackpool loanee smashed the ball into the back of the net. But, within a minute the Millers had equalised when Le Fondre found Ellison in space and the former County player slid home an angled shot. Four minutes later County were handed a free-kick and Robbie Williams hit the ball into the wall where Le Fondre was harshly judged to have handled it. He was booked and, after a bit of argy bargy between the Stockport players, Elding stepped up to take the spot kick which was easily saved by Andy Warrington. In the final minutes of the half Owain Fon Williams saved from a Tom Newey cross and the last kick of the game was an Elding shot which was well blocked by Ellison.

Stockport came out for the second half all guns blazing and it was no surprise when Stephen Husband fired them back into the lead on fifty minutes. Turnbull also had a shot on goal that went over the bar while Husband again saw a shot go just wide and on sixty-one minutes Warrington did well to save from Adam Griffin, making another save some minutes later from Elding. On sixty-eight minutes the home side increased their lead when a great ball from Elding found Husband who drove the ball into the net giving Warrington no chance. The Millers responded with Kevin Ellison having two shots at goal, the second bringing off a good save from Williams. At the other end Tansey saw a shot go just over while Nicky Law managed to get a foot to an Adam Griffin corner and put it away to safety. With ten minutes to go Le Fondre, in space, got the ball into the area hoping to see a Rotherham head connect, only for County’s Matthew Grieve to head the ball into his own net. The Millers suddenly had some urgency about them and egged on by their supporters upped the pace with Ryan Taylor getting on the end of a Tom Newey cross only to see his shot go agonisingly wide. With the game in the final seconds of the ninety the visitors got a free kick on the edge of the area which Nicky Law took and Ryan Taylor jumped highest and headed it into the back of the net for the equaliser. The Millers players ran behind the net to celebrate with their fans and for a minute it was a mixture of fans and players until some rather unnecessary force by Stockport stewards broke the party up. Five minutes of added time went up and it was the Millers who could easily have stolen all three points when crosses from Newey, Law and Jason Taylor were hacked away and a shot by Tom Pope, on for Ellison, was saved by Williams followed by another save from Jason Taylor. In the final seconds of the game, Pope had a great chance to win the game but his shot hit the post.

For some reason Rotherham United seem to fall apart when playing teams in the bottom half of the table and, once again, we started to play long-ball football and we certainly got out of jail this evening and got a point we really didn’t deserve.