Date: 22nd April 2017 at 6:08pm
Written by:

Rotherham United won their second game of the year when a seventy-ninth minute goal from Tom Adeyemi gave them all three points against Ipswich Town at the New York Stadium this afternoon.

The Millers started well and Adeyemi and Danny Ward had vague chances in the opening minutes before some nice work from the Millers saw Jon Taylor get the ball in the area and harried and hurried around Josh Emmanuel until the Town player bundled him over. Referee Jeremy Simpson had no hesitation and pointed to the spot to give Rotherham their first penalty of the season. Danny Ward stepped up only to see Town ‘keeper Dean Gerken go down the right way and palm the ball away. The Millers kept going and Ward sent a lovely ball through to Adeyemi only for Emmanuel to get there first before Taylor was denied by Gerken minutes later. A nice ball from Semi Ajayi sent Ward off down the wing and from a tight angle put the ball into the side netting. Will Vaulks was the next to try his luck and got a corner which Ajayi got to before Gerken but there was no-one there to get the header down. Carlton Morris had a shot before a shot in the area from Taylor missed both Ward and Richard Wood. The visitors first real foray up front saw former Millers loanee Toumani Diagouraga’s effort hit the woodwork before Taylor flew down the other end and put a superb cross in for Adeyemi but he saw his header saved by Gerken. With the half coming to an end Brett Pitman put the ball into the box but it went over the bar. As the whistle was blown for half-time Danny Ward went down holding his hamstring and limped from the pitch.

The Millers had to replace Ward bringing on Alex Bray. Ipswich came out better for the second half and Dominic Samuel had a chance which deflected off a Town player to go out for a goal kick. At the other end a good ball from Will Vaulks found Carlton Morris who put in a super cross into the box which was hacked away to safety by the Ipswich defence. The Millers were forced into a second early sub with Anthony Forde replacing Semi Ajayi who never really recovered from a knock in the first half. A poor clearance from Will Vaulks saw Richard O’Donnell do well to save from Brett Pitman before Richard Wood was on hand to head away a shot from Josh Emmanuel. Ipswich got a free-kick near goal and O’Donnell did well to stop Danny Rowe’s set-piece going in. Kieffer Moore replaced Teddy Bishop for the visitors. Alex Bray went down under a challenge in the box but the referee deemed it a dive and booked the Rotherham player. On the sixty-fifth minute Ipswich might have gone in front when a low cross into the box from Pitman missed everyone before some good defending from Darnell Fisher stopped Rowe getting a shot away. And minutes later the hosts had Fisher to thank again when a ball from Moore went towards Samuel but the Millers defender was there to divert in the six yard box. The Millers third change saw Jonson Clarke-Harris on for Carlton Morris. Both Taylor and Bray did well to win corners for Rotherham before Joe Mattock saw yellow for a poor challenge on Myles Kenlock and Kevin Bru came on for Toumani Diagouraga for the visitors. The Millers were unlucky not to score after more good work from Taylor saw Anthony Forde cross the ball towards Clarke-Harris but his header got a deflection and went wide. But a minute later the Millers were in front when the resulting corner went back to into midfield and Fisher’s long punt back deflected to Tom Adeyemi who drove the ball in from close range to send nearly eight thousand Millers barmy. But two minutes later some poor defending by the Millers saw Ipswich get a corner and only some great defending from Fisher on the line stopped Moore’s header going in. O’Donnell then kept the hosts in the lead when he brought off a good save from Samuel. Down the other end Forde got through the Ipswich defence and sent a lovely ball in to Taylor who fluffed his lines and put the ball over before Fisher again had to be on his mettle to get across to and beat Kenlock to a ball, winning the Millers a free-kick. Mick McCarthy introduced Freddie Sears for Rowe. Forde was the next to have a go which went inches wide with Dean Gerken stood watching. In time added on Clarke-Harris had a go from long range which saw the ball go over before O’Donnell kept his cool at the other end catching and holding onto the ball.

A good three points for the Millers – yes, it’s too little too late, but with the fans who stopped behind to applaud the players at the end of the game it shows what we thought of their effort this afternoon. And that’s all we ask for.