Date: 14th March 2018 at 6:31pm
Written by:

Despite taking an early lead last night Rotherham United fell to their second defeat in three days to a team in a relegation place in League One.

The Millers started the better and had the first sight of goal when Joe Mattock sent in a perfect ball for Michael Smith only to see Elliott Ward deflect the ball away from the Millers striker. At the other end a cross from Callum Brittain was headed across goal by Osman Sow before Shaun Cummings, making his first appearance since the beginning of December, saw a delivery go across the six yard box before eventually falling to Anthony Forde whose cross found the head of Smith but it was an easy save for Dons’ ‘keeper Lee Nichols. Richie Towell and Caolan Lavery, making his first start in a Rotherham shirt, both had efforts with no luck. But on the eleventh minute the Millers pressure paid off when a Forde corner found Lavery who sent it towards Semi Ajayi with the tall defender tapping the ball over the line to give the visitors the lead. After the goal Rotherham appeared to sit back with MK Dons on the front foot. From a corner Brittain might have scored but saw his shot deflected into the waiting arms of Millers’ ‘keeper Marek Rodak followed by a shot from Sow some twenty yards out which whistled past the upright. Another corner on twenty-five minutes was headed just over by Chuks Aneke before a rare forage up the other end saw Will Vaulks put a shot wide. Another good delivery from Robbie Muirhead found Aneke who really should have equalised from close target but somehow missed followed by Rodak making a diving one handed save from Sow. But the equaliser did come with ten minutes of the first half left when Aneke got the ball off a dithering Forde and found Muirhead who smashed the ball into the back of the net. Seven minutes later the hosts took the lead after a Ward header found George Williams who in turn found Aneke whose shot towards goal was turned in by Peter Pawlett. As the half was coming to an end Ncholls came to the rescue of the hosts by keeping out a shot from Forde.

MK Dons started the second half with Chelsea loanee Ike Ugbo on for Osman Sow who came close to getting a ball in a good position before Marek Rodak dealt with it. With the hosts pushing forward and some sloppy defending from Rotherham the Dons got a third on the fifty-eighth minute when Pawlett fed Robbie Muirhead who drilled home from some twenty yards out to get his second on the night. Jon Taylor and Jerry Yates came on for Forde and Caolan Lavery for the visitors while Pawlett was replaced by Brandon Thomas-Asante for the Dons. Michael Smith and Richie Towell having half chances for Rotherham that came to nothing while Thomas-Asante saw a shot saved by Rodak at the other end. The Millers next substitution saw Matty Palmer on for Richard Wood. The first yellow of the evening went to Ugbo for a foul on Joe Mattock. Semi Ajayi brought off a super save from Lee Nichols at point-blank range but could do nothing four minutes later after Richie Towell saw the nippy run of Taylor who saw his first shot blocked but it fell back to him and he made it three-two. Minutes later Smith sent Joe Newell a lovely ball into the area but the Millers winger saw Nicholls get his fingertips to it to put it over. A Will Vaulks free-kick found Taylor who sent the ball through to Palmer who tried his luck from distance only to see his effort go inches over. As the board went over for an extra six minutes Chuks Aneke dragged a shot wide before up the other end Newell saw a curling shot go wide.

Honestly, the Millers got what they probably deserved last night after being too laid back after taking an early lead.

Back to the drawing board for Paul Warne? I would think so.

Click for the forum