Date: 15th August 2017 at 9:06pm
Written by:

After going ahead on sixty-four minutes from a David Ball goal Rotherham United couldn’t hold on this evening and Manchester City’s U21’s took the game to penalties in time added on at the end of the game.

The first half was quite a drab affair although in the opening five minutes an effort from Jonson Clarke-Harris had City ‘keeper Arijanet Muric scurrying across his box to clear. At the other end Dominic Ball had to be aware when Javairo Dilrosun got free in the box to get a challenge in. And Dominic Ball was close to opening the scoring for the Millers less than a minute later after Richard Wood headed on to him but it just failed to find his head. On ten minutes Lorenzo Gonzalez was about to shoot but Wood’s challenge put him off before some good work between David Ball and debutant Shaun Cummings gave Jon Taylor a chance but the winger put his header wide. The best chance of the half fell to Clarke-Harris on twenty-five minutes who got a superb ball from Cummings only to see Muric get down well to save. Five minutes from the end of the half City won a free-kick which was floated in with Will Vaulks managing to head behind for a corner which came to nothing.

The first action of the second half saw Will Vaulks receive a yellow card for a blatant foul. Arijanet Muric got to a ball before Jonson Clarke-Harris and moments later Vaulks sent a rocket of a shot towards goal which went inches wide of the upright. Just before the hour mark Alex Bray replaced Jerry Yates for the hosts followed by City’s first change when Ben Garre came on for Lorenzo Gonzalez. David Ball had a shot at goal with was easy for Muric but he couldn’t get to a shot from the same player two minutes later and the Millers found themselves in front. The next yellow went to Joel Latibeaudiere for a late challenge on David Ball followed by Taylor Richards coming on for Tom Dele-Bashiru. On seventy-five minutes Jon Taylor had the chance to make it two-nil with only a good save by Muric stopping him. Another City sub saw Demeaco Duhaney replaced by Rabbi Matondo. Alex Bray did well to find Vaulks who in turn gave Taylor an opportunity to score but he saw the ball go a whisker wide before only a super tackle from Matthew Smith stopped David Ball getting his and the Millers second. Clarke-Harris saw a shot go well over before Taylor got himself into the box again but his back-heel was saved by Muric. In the final ten minutes of the game City had a few minutes with a Lucas Nmecha free-kick going over the Millers wall but just wide of the goal and substitute Matondo saw his shot go wide. David Ball got a round of applause from the Millers fans when he was subbed with Josh Kayode. As the game hit the ninety minute mark Richard O’Donnell made his first real save of the game when he got down well to a shot from Matondo. But he couldn’t do much in time added on when City’s late pressure paid off and Garre slotted home to make it one-one.

And so to ABBA penalties.

City – Nmecha – scored – 0-1

Millers – Vaulks – saved – 0-1
Millers – Taylor – missed – 0-1

City – Smith – scored – 0-2
City – Richards – scored – 0-3

Millers – Forde – scored – 1-3
Millers – Clarke-Harris – scored – 2-3

City – Davenport – missed – 2-3
City – Oliver – scored – 2-4

Giving Man City the win on pens and get two points.