Date: 21st August 2018 at 10:58pm
Written by:


Wood                                      Irvine (2)

Proctor                                  Campbell

Rotherham United lost to a more organised team this evening at the New York Stadium with Hull City being on the better end of a three-two scoreline.

The visitors showed they meant business in the opening five minutes when a Fraizer Campbell was allowed too much freedom and put a ball into the box which went across the face of goal with no-one there to add the finishing touch. At the other end some good work between Ryan Williams and Jon Taylor saw the ball fall to Joe Mattock but his cross towards Michael Smith was easily cleared before a Ryan Manning corner went over everyone. With twelve minutes on the clock Millers’ ‘keeper Marek Rodak was brought into the game when he managed to get to a thunderbolt of a shot from distance by Norwegian International Markus Henriksen and tip it over the bar. On the quarter of an hour mark the Millers got a corner which Manning swung in and Richard Wood climbed above everyone else to give the hosts the lead. Within minutes Wood has to be alert at the other end to clear from Jackson Irvine with the rebound falling to Daniel Batty who put the ball way over the crossbar. Hull were trying their best to score and only a good challenge from Will Vaulks on Evandro stopped the Brazilian getting a shot away and a good punch from Rodak a few minutes later stopped a cross from Todd Kane reaching the head of Evandro. But Hull did eventually equalise on twenty-eight minutes after some nice work from Evandro found Jackson Irvine who gave Rodak little chance volleying the ball into the top of the net. Manning put some good corners into the box but Smith, who was being pushed, pulled and jumped on all game, couldn’t get to them. As the board went up for one added minute City went in front after a punch from Rodak fell to Eric Lichaj he slid the ball to Campbell to make it two-one to the visitors.

The second half started with referee Jeremy Simpson giving a yellow to Markus Henriksen for a poor challenge on Matty Palmer. The half was only two minutes old when Hull made it three after Semi Ajayi might have been accused of ball watching and Fraizer Campbell got by him getting the ball to Jarrod Brown who found Jackson Irvine who stuck the ball into the far corner of the net for his second of the night. A Will Vaulks long throw found the head of Millers’ skipper Richard Wood but he put the ball over before a cross from Ryan Manning was punched to safety by Tigers’ ‘keeper David Marshall. On fifty-six minutes the Millers brought on Joe Newell and Kyle Vassell to replace Jon Taylor and Ryan Williams with Newell’s first touch being a cross-cum-shot which Marshall saved well. The Millers had a couple of corners which both found Wood’s head but came to nothing. The first Hull substitution saw Will Keane replace Fraizer Campbell. Marek Rodak brought off a couple of good saves from Jarrod Bowen and Keane before Irvine should really have had his hat-trick when he lashed the ball wide when it looked easier to score. The last Millers sub saw Jamie Proctor come on for Matty Palmer who nearly made a goal with his first touch sending a cross in to Vaulks who missed the top right hand corner of the net by inches. But it was Proctor who gave the Millers some hope when a lovely cross from Zak Vyner was headed on by Smith to the former Bolton striker who headed the ball into the centre of the goal. City made their last substitutions bringing on Kevin Stewart to replace Daniel Batty and Evandro made way for Robbie McKenzie. A header from Smith found Semi Ajayi who, with his back to goal, volleyed wide. With five minutes to go Henriksen fouled Manning who took the resulting free-kick himself finding Proctor who headed back to Wood but the Millers skipper header was weak. Minutes later Wood ‘took one for the team’ getting a yellow for stopping Bowen in his tracks. A header from Smith found Vaulks but he didn’t trouble Marshall before Ajayi had the best chance of the night to get an equaliser after a lovely ball from Proctor was headed to Ajayi from Smith but the former Nigerian U20 defender headed the ball up instead of down leaving the Tigers getting their first win of the campaign.

Nigel Adkins side were more organised than the Millers this evening and, what’s worrying to me is that until our three subs came on, we couldn’t do a thing about it. I’m afraid it wasn’t good enough tonight. Hey ho, onto Sunday and the visit of Millwall – where we do need to do a lot better.

Crowd – 8,962 (1,225 Tigers)

Referee – Jeremy Simpson

Click for the forum

Your Comment