Date: 13th January 2018 at 7:45pm
Written by:

Rotherham United took a point away at Oldham this afternoon in what, in effect, were two poor teams playing on a poor pitch at Boundary Park.

The Millers were lucky not to go one down on three minutes after former Miller Ben Pringle, making his debut for the Latics this afternoon, sent a ball towards Dan Gardner who got by his marker and found Craig Davis who hit the ball towards goal only to find skipper Richard Wood on the goal line to head the ball away from danger. Four minutes later Rotherham went in front when David Ball hit the ball towards Jerry Yates, who in an off-side position, left it with Ball who chased what looked like a lost cause to collect and pass it to Anthony Forde. Forde saw his centre come back out towards Ryan Williams who drilled the ball past the Oldham ‘keeper Johny Placide and into the back of the net getting the one thousand two hundred visiting supporters on their feet applauding. In the following minutes both Wood and Semi Ajayi saw headers go wide before Placide held on firmly when a cross from Richie Towell came at him. At the other end Ajayi did well to block a shot from Pringle with the resulting corner coming to nothing. The game was stopped for a minute while there was a change of linesman followed by a Forde free-kick finding Woods who saw his shot well saved by Placide. On twenty-five minutes Ajayi and Millers’ ‘keeper Marek Rodak got themselves in a twist with the latter managing to get the ball out of danger outside his box followed by a shot from Pringle going just past the post. On the half-hour mark Towell was adjudged to have fouled Ousmane Fane just outside the box and Dan Gardner teed up Craig Davis who hit the ball into the back of the net to make it one-all. It was all Oldham after that with Joe Mattock having to put the ball behind for a corner before Rodak did well to claim the ball through a sea of bodies from a Pringle cross. In the final minute of the game Tope Obadeyi easily passed his marker but couldn’t keep the ball down and saw it fly over the net into the visiting fans behind.

In the opening minutes of the second half Johny Placide had to be on his toes when he had to tip a shot from Will Vaulks over the crossbar. At the other end Ben Pringle saw a shot go way over before Marek Rodak did well to fall onto a shot from Tope Obadeyi followed by some good work from Josh Emmanuel who got to the ball before Craig Davis had a chance a slotting it over the line. A free-kick was awarded to the hosts just after the hour mark which Vaulks decided they weren’t going to take it quickly, keeping hold of the ball, and was duly booked by referee Rob Lewis. On sixty-six minutes the Millers brought on new boy Michael Smith who replaced Jerry Yates. Oldham made two substitutes of their own bringing on Ryan McLaughlin and Aaron Holloway for Dan Gardner and Kundai Benyu. The Millers fans feared the worst when Rob Lewis called over Vaulks after a challenge on Ousmane Fane, who rolled about like he’d never walk again, but he just got a stern warning. Ryan Williams was replaced by Joe Newell for the visitors while the hosts brought on Gevaro Nepomuceno for Cameron Dummigan. With four minutes left the Millers took off David Ball and brought on Jonson Clarke-Harris. Mattock again was on hand to stop Nepomuceno getting to the ball before the hosts had a shout for a penalty after Ajayi and Davis tangled but Mr Lewis waved the appeal away. The game went into five minutes of time added on which saw a shot from Newell saved and Towell make a bit of a hash of a shot from just outside the box to see it go over. Pringle saw yellow in the dying minutes of the game for something he said.

Well, that wasn’t as exciting as it might sound. At most it was lack-lustre at worst it was down right poor. Our defence looked very nervous, our midfield weren’t at the races and the ball hardly saw a strikers boot.

As I said coming home, it can only get better – but then again, I said that at half-time too.