Date: 18th March 2017 at 4:56pm
Written by:

The Millers were thumped on their travels this afternoon in a game which saw a spirited first half gave way to a poor second half performance at Loftus Road.

The Millers started well and when Joe Newell put a ball into the area Joel Lynch chested back to his ‘keeper with Alex Smithies having to be on his mettle to get to the ball before a floated ball from Will Vaulks was flicked on by Semi Ajayi towards Danny Ward but the Millers striker couldn’t quite get there. It was a bit against run of play when a long clearance from the hosts was flicked on by Idrissa Sylla to Matt Smith who found himself free from his marker and slotted the ball beyond Millers’ ‘keeper Lewis Price into the net. Heads didn’t drop and Ben Purrington put Jerry Yates through but a good tackle from Grant Hall put the ball out for a corner which Smithies did well to punch to safety. But the Millers were putting a bit of pressure on the home side and on thirteen minutes it paid off when a Ward header found Newell some twenty-five yards out who let fly beating Smithies to find the bottom corner of the net to give the visitors an equaliser. Unfortunately just two minutes later Rangers were back in front after some lacklustre defending from the Millers Luke Freeman got inbetween Ajayi and Price to stab the ball home from eighteen yards out. And it could have been more ten minutes later after Sylla got the ball, turned and shot only to see the ball hit the stanchion behind the net. Newell was finding space and twice tried to put Yates through only for the ball to be a bit long before a good touch from Purrington found Ward who put the ball into the area for Tom Adeyemi only for him to put the ball wide. Adeyemi again showed his strength after Vaulks swung a ball into the area but the Rangers’ defenders crowded him out before a superb free-kick from Newell into the area towards Aimen Belaid had to be defended well by Nedum Onuoha. Some good work from Yates saw him find Jon Taylor who, with Lee Frecklington screaming for it in the box, decided to shoot himself and saw the ball go for a corner which came to nothing.

Within two minutes of the start of the second half referee Oliver Langford didn’t win any fans from the travelling two hundred and sixty-two Millers when he gave a soft penalty against Aimen Belaid who he alleged stopped Matt Smith from going for a ball. After Belaid saw yellow Yeni Ngbakoto stepped up and put the ball into the net sending Lewis Price the wrong way making it three-one to the hosts. Minutes later Price was in action again when he got to a shot from Ngbakoto putting the ball behind. Just before the hour mark Rangers went four-one up after a superb cross from Ngbakoto was glanced into the net by Massimo Luongo. Heads went down for the Millers and it could have been worse when a Luke Freeman free-kick whistled past the post. QPR made two substitutes bringing Ravel Morrison on for Freeman and Conor Washington for Matt Smith. The Millers got a free-kick which Jon Taylor whipped in but no Miller could get to it. That was Taylor’s last action in the game being subbed with Anthony Forde coming on in his place and five minutes later new boy Carlton Morris made his debut coming on for Jerry Yates. Some good work from Danny Ward, who’d just been down with an injury, saw the ball fall to Morris but the loanee from Norwich seemed to scuff his shot and put the ball wide. At the other end Price came out to collect the ball but dropped it with Aimen Belaid getting the ball off the line from Sylla. Ian Holloway made his last change fetching Sean Goss on for Massimo Luongo. And it perhaps should have been more with the Millers defence in tatters with Washington in acres of space put an effort against the post from eighteen yards out with Morrison hitting the rebound wide. A rare forage up front from the Millers saw Will Vaulks get the ball from Belaid and head it towards Ward but Smithies gets to it first before Price has to be alert at the other end to stop Washington get a shot on goal before Semi Ajayi made sure the same player couldn’t get to the ball a minute later. Richie Smallwood replaced Danny Ward for the last five minutes but it was the hosts who made it five-one in time added on when a Ngbakoto’s free-kick found Onuoha for him to tap the ball over the line.

Once again a game of two halves for the Millers – seemed to be doing OK in the first half, rallying to get an equaliser before going in two-one down but still in the game. Then when Rangers’ third goal went in heads dropped and no-one could do anything about it – either on the pitch or from the bench. Although we know we’ve been down since Christmas mathematically we still have a chance – yeah, right.