Match Reports

Another Away Win For Millers

Image for Another Away Win For Millers

MK Dons 0 Rotherham United 3
                         Ihiekwe (27),  Barlaser (65),
                        Ladapo (72)

Rotherham United kept up their impressive record by going eight games without defeat after today’s away win against MK Dons this afternoon.

The Millers started the stronger and when Michael Smith beat the offside trap he looked to open the scoring only to see his shot hit the edge of the crossbar and go out to safety. At the other end some fine defending from Rarmani Edmonds-Green stopped a cross from Zak Jules finding a home player followed by a shot from Peter Kioso going wide. Will Grigg did well to find Ben Wiles with a cross who saw his curled shot go wide before Chieo Ogbene’s pace was too much for the hosts and after he’d jumped over a crude challenge from David Kasumu he was brought down by Dean Lewington winning a free-kick. Dan Barlaser’s set-piece was put out for a corner which firstly found Ollie Rathbone who sent the ball backwards to Wes Harding who won a second corner for the visitors which Barlaser took finding the head of Michael Ihiekwe who saw the ball clip the crossbar before landing on the roof of the net. MK Dons won a free-kick on twenty-five minutes after Barlaser had brought down Scott Twine who took the kick himself sending the ball wide. Two minutes later the Millers went in front after some neat work from Ogbene saw him pull the ball back to Barlaser who sent the ball into the box for Ihiekwe and with nobody around him he headed it into the net sending the travelling one thousand two hundred Millers wild. Minutes later it could have been two when a good ball from Wiles found Grigg who sent the ball in towards Smith but it was cleared by a frantic Dons’ defender. And it was Grigg again who won the ball back soon afterwards finding Smith but his touch wasn’t the best and home ‘keeper Andrew Fisher managed to clear. Kasumu had a chance for the hosts but his shot from just outside the area went wide before Barlasaer sent Shane Ferguson off who then found the head of Smith only for the Millers’ forward to put the ball past the post. In time added on Rotherham ‘keeper Josh Vickers did well to get to the ball ahead of Twine before the midfielder sent a good ball in for Jules who headed over.

In the opening minutes of the second half the Millers players – and fans – thought that a Peter Kioso cross that was caught by Andrew Fisher was a pass-back but referee Sarginson wasn’t interested. Five minutes into the half the visitors came close to doubling their lead after a Shane Ferguson corner was met by the head of skipper for the day Michael Ihiekwe only for Fisher to pull off a good save on the goal line with a defender clearing. After some good build-up play Harry Darling couldn’t decide whether to shoot or cross and his ball bothered nobody before a Scott Twine free-kick – which was never a free-kick in the first place – went straight into the waiting arms of Josh Vickers. On the hour mark Zak Jules was replaced by Tennai Watson for the hosts and the Millers brought on Freddie Ladapo for Will Grigg. A minute later another Dons’ change saw Hiram Boateng make way for Troy Parrott. On the sixty-sixth minute the Millers got a corner which Dan Barlaser aiming the ball for just under the crossbar and although Smith looked like he would try to claim it the ball went into the net without his help giving Rotherham a two-nil lead. (Not sure about the ‘dance’ on the Terrace Thread on Twitter though Dan!) Chieo Ogbene then danced down the wing only to be hacked down by David Kasumu who received a yellow card for his trouble. It could have been three a couple of minutes later when Wes Harding sent a lovely ball to Ferguson but he was slipping as he shot and Fisher picked the ball up. With twenty minutes to go Rotherham sent on Mickel Miller for Ferguson and a minute later the Millers’ second sub did well to get into the box sending the ball to their first sub Ladapo who fired home to make it three-nil. As the other two substitutes had before him Dan Barlaser got a standing ovation from the appreciative Millers fans when he was replaced by Hakeem Odoffin who was straight into the action stopping a cross-cum-shot from Parrott going in. A few minutes later Vickers did well to claim a shot from Matt O’Riley which was followed by a booking for Ollie Rathbone after Kasumu fell over under his challenge. The hosts were quickly on the move with some great defending from Harding seeing him see the ball out from Watson for a goal kick to ensure the Millers kept a clean sheet.

I’ll be honest I wasn’t expecting this at the start of the game but Rotherham played really well today and it will be difficult to pick a man of the match! How good is that to hear! And another clean sheet which I don’t think you can ask more from away from home. Just because I feel I should let’s mention referee Christopher Sarginson who won’t be getting many Christmas cards from Millers fans this year, some strange decisions to say the least.

Attendance – 8,448 – with 1,242 noisy Millers making the journey South.

Share this article

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *