Date: 6th April 2016 at 11:26am
Written by:

Rotherham United came away from Ashton Gate last night with another point under their belts in a bid to stave off relegation taking their unbeaten run to seven games.

After losing four-nil at the weekend City came out of the blocks running winning a corner in the opening minute of the game but Lee Camp in the Millers goal was equal to it. At the other end Leon Best put a cross across goal which was just a little heave for Grant Ward to run on to and minutes later only an offside flag stopped Best himself having a shot at goal. On ten minutes City had one of their many shouts for a penalty (well, according to their fans) when Aaron Wilbraham fell theatrically to the ground but referee Gavin Ward was having none of it. Two minutes later the Millers were in front when a super long ball from Richard Wood was plucked out of the air by Matt Derbyshire, who had a reprieve earlier in the day on his red card at the weekend, and cool as you like he lifted it over Robins` ‘keeper Richard O`Donnell to give the visitors the lead in front of the three hundred and twenty travelling fans. And it might have been two on the quarter of the hour mark except for the City ‘keeper coming out to head away a cross from Richie Smallwood before it reached a black shirted player in the area. At the other end Joe Mattock did well to get to a ball before it reached Wilbraham while Richard Wood was on hand to clear away moments later. Twenty-one minutes saw the first yellow of the night when a poor challenge on Lee Frecklington saw Korey Smith punished before Peter Odemwingie should perhaps have done better when he shot way over the crossbar into the City fans behind Lee Camp`s goal. Just before the half-hour mark Aden Flint, playing his one hundredth consecutive game for the Robins, climbed highest to a Lee Tomlin corner and only some acrobatics from Camp stopped him scoring. There was a long stoppage after the corner when Greg Halford went down holding his head but after treatment he was fine to carry on. Five minutes before half-time Tomlin might have equalised after he skipped past the Millers defence but he mistimed his kick and it went well wide and trying to make amends minutes later he takes a free-kick which goes straight into the waiting arms of Camp and minutes later another gets down well to save from Flint. Grant Ward won a free-kick in the sixth minute of time added on which Mattock takes but O`Donnell catches easily.

City came out for the second half as they had the first and only some nice work from Millers ‘keeper Lee Camp stops Peter Odemwingie getting to the ball. At the other end Richard O`Donnell had to be on his toes to stop Matt Derbyshire getting to the ball before the ball falls to Richie Smallwood but his shot went straight to O`Donnell. As City got more into the game a lovely cross from Adam Matthews was headed away by Stephen Kelly before Kelly was in action again making a timely tackle on Korey Smith which was followed by another super save from Camp. But he could do nothing on the fifty-fourth minute when the Millers defence seemed to switch off and let a cross fall to Odemwingie who lashed the ball into the back of the net from some fifteen yards out. And it might have been two a minute later when a super cross from Adam Matthews into the box was headed away by Rotherham skipper Kirk Broadfoot. The Millers had the chance of a second just after the hour mark when a nice ball in from Greg Halford found Derbyshire but the striker put the ball out for a goal kick which was his last part in the game as he was subbed by Danny Ward, getting a standing ovation from the travelling fans. The Millers were coming back into the game and shots from Grant Ward and Richie Smallwood went wide before Leon Best won a free-kick which saw a back heel fall to Joe Mattock but his shot was saved by O`Donnell. City made their first substitution seeing Luke Freeman replace Scott Golbourne. It was end to end with a super tackle from Marlon Pack stopping Danny Ward while a great tackle from Richard Wood at the other end stopped Odemwingie getting a shot away. With ten minutes to go Odemwingie got his head to a ball which looked destined to go in the top corner but an absolutely fantastic save from Camp who put the ball over his crossbar kept the Millers in the game. From the resulting corner Aden Flint rose above everyone but his header went wide. The Robins made another substitution replacing Peter Odemwingie with Jonathan Kodjia. The Millers had a chance to go back into the lead when Grant Ward worked his way up the pitch sending the ball to Danny Ward who saw his shot well saved by O`Donnell. A few minutes later a Halford long throw found Smallwood who in turn found Danny Ward but the Millers striker saw his shot go just wide before a super cross into the box found Richard Wood but he couldn`t keep his header down. Kodjia, who had proved a little troublesome since coming on, had a good shot at goal which Camp did well to get down to before a Lee Tomlin free-kick was plucked out of the air by the Millers` ‘keeper.

It was a bit of a scrappy game but that`s what you get at this time of the season from two teams fighting to stay in the Championship and it`s another good point on the road for the Millers which now sees them six points above Saturday`s opponents MK Dons who are in the last relegation place.

Click for the forum