Date: 11th March 2017 at 8:35pm
Written by:

Rotherham United failed to bring anything home from Molineux this afternoon with Wolves winning the game with a goal in time added on at the end of the first half.

The hosts started well winning a free-kick off Richie Smallwood in the opening minute which found the head of Kortney Hause before being deflected just over the crossbar by Aimen Belaid. Minutes later a cross from Ben Marshall found Romain Saiss who headed wide. Ten minutes in and Danny Ward really should have put the visitors ahead after Tom Adeyemi put him clean through but he fluffed his lines and allowed Wolves’ ‘keeper Carl Ikeme to pounce at his feet and get the ball. And ten minutes later it was the same movement but Lee Frecklington this time assisted the Millers striker and he’d really only to lift the ball over the on-rushing Ikeme but he put it wide. Adeyemi tried a shot five minutes later before again he sent Ward through and again the ‘keeper saved at his feet. You just know when those shots don’t go in it’s not going to be your day and when Joe Mattock brought Helder Costa down in the area and referee Mr Simpson pointed to the spot the travelling two hundred Millers fans all hung their heads. But, somehow the Millers got away with it, after Costa saw his spot-kick pushed away by Millers’ ‘keeper Lewis Price the ball fell to Joe Newell who hacked it away. With the half nearly over Belaid decided to have a shot from thirty yards out which flew off in the direction of the corner flag. As the board went up for time added on when Marshall bushed Mattock aside to get the ball to Andreas Weimann the Austrian forward got in front of Semi Ajayi and rounded Price to put the ball into the back of the net. A minute afterwards Will Vaulks was brought to his knees when Weimann flew into him earning him the first yellow of the game.

In the opening minutes of the second half Lewis Price kept out a thunderous shot from Helder Costa and although the rebound fell to Andreas Weimann he saw him half-shot blocked by Joe Mattock. After that the game settled into a slow boring spectacle with the Millers making two substitutions just before the hour mark bringing Jerry Yates and Jon Taylor on for Richie Smallwood and Joe Newell. Five minutes later Wolves should have doubled their lead when a cross from Costa found the head of Dave Edwards but he headed into the waiting arms of Price. On the sixty-fifth minute Anthony Forde found Yates in the box but the young striker put the ball just over. Helder Costa was replaced by Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and he nearly scored with his first touch of the ball but saw his shot go just over the corner of the crossbar. Since coming on Taylor had livened things up a little and saw a couple of long range crosses cleared before a corner from Forde was put over by Aimen Belaid. With ten minutes to go Wolves put Morgan Gibbs-White on for Jack Price with the Millers replacing Anthony Forde with Alex Bray followed by Wolves Ivan Cavaleiro replacing Ben Marshall. Price did well to get down to a shot from Gibbs-White before Semi Ajayi saw a header go wide after being set up by Will Vaulks at the other end. Joe Mattock saw yellow for a cynical foul on Gibbs-White before Conor Coady drilled the ball wide. In time added on the Millers had the chance to earn a point after a lovely ball in from Vaulks was flicked on by Yates who found Ajayi and with the goal at his mercy the Cardiff loanee somehow put the ball over the crossbar.

Well that was ninety minutes of my life I won’t get back again. I’m struggling to think of a player who I could even think of giving the man of the match too. We slowed the game down, we didn’t tackle. We did make a few good chances but, once again, failed to find the back of the net.

It says a lot when we were walking away from the ground and the Wolves fans, who aren’t exactly happy with their team at the moment, were sympathising with us!


One Reply to “Another Away Defeat For Millers”

  • Rotherham’s twenty-eighth defeat of the season. A club record (of the wrong sort) for a forty-six game season. It also equals the record set in the 1924/5 season.

Comments are closed.