Date: 15th December 2012 at 10:46pm
Written by:

A goal from substitute Kieran Agard was enough to win today`s game at the Cherry Red Record Stadium this afternoon for Rotherham United.

Rotherham began the game well with Wimbledon ‘keeper Neil Sullivan having to make an early save from a Johnny Mullins free-kick and two minutes later Michael O`Connor saw a shot from just outside the box go over the bar. Then O`Connor became provider after some good work down the right he found Lee Frecklington who in turn got the ball to Ben Pringle who forced Sullivan into a good save down to his right. At the other end a Stacy Long free-kick was blocked by the wall but the ball fell to Luke Moore whose chipped shot was deflected for a corner. Long saw a shot go wide while a Jim Fenlon shot was blocked by Johnny Mullins On the half-hour mark Jon Meades` two-footed challenge on Johnny Mullins went unpunished while Millers skipper Ian Sharps found himself in the book for his loud and lengthy protests. After recovering a good run by Mullins down the right saw him get a good ball into O`Conner but the Irishman couldn`t keep the ball down and it flew into the home supporters in the stand. In the dying minutes of the half an inswinging corner from Long fell to Will Antwi but the centre-back saw his shot cleared by Sharps and from that clearance Daniel Nardiello raced away with the ball and going round Sullivan put the ball into the back of the net only to be denied by a linesman flag.

In the opening minutes of the second half Meades had a free-kick deflected for a corner and at the other end a delightful cross from Courtney Cameron, on for Pringle, was punched away by Sullivan but fell to Nardiello but from just six yards out he put the ball high and wide. The hosts` best chance came when Toby Ajala got by Kari Arnason and chipped the ball over Warrington but Mullins was on the line to volley the ball clear. Nardiello had another chance a few minutes later and with Sullivan only able to parry his shot Alex Revell wasn’t able to get to the ball before it was hustled away for a corner. Just after the hour mark Cameron saw a shot held by Sullivan and a few minutes later the same player took a free-kick which whistled past the post into the visiting fans and minutes later a Lee Frecklington shot was blocked by Curtis Osano. With all the Millers pressure the faithful following were sure a goal was going to come but when it did it was much a surprise to the scorer as the fans! On seventy-eight minutes Cameron got in a good cross to Kieran Agard, on for O`Connor, who headed the ball goalwards and with everyone thinking it had gone wide the ball hit the far post and crept in the net past a surprised looking Sullivan. After making sure the cameraman had got the goal on film Agard ran over to the seated Millers fans, jumped over the wall and gave a family member a kiss before going back onto the pitch and being booked for his trouble. The Millers could have doubled the lead minutes later when the lively Frecklington took a free-kick which Sullivan only just managed to get down to before it crossed the line. In time added on the Wombles nearly equalised when as low ball into the box found Jack Midson but Arnason was on hand to help Warrington out and get the ball away much to the relief of the travelling two hundred and eighty fans.

Not a game that will be particularly remembered for good football – probably more remembered for the number of balls that went over various stands if I am honest – but it was a good battling performance by the Millers and, although the goal might have been a little fortuitous, it was probably deserved for the effort put in during the second half.